1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Extreme Muslim Class of 2007

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 18, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Oh, only 80,000 killed by drunk drivers.
    and 0 killed by al-qaeda on american soil.
    and more than 3,500 US troops killed in a useless war in Iraq

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Lefties, libbies. Yeah, that's the way to do it.

Do we care more about the thousands of American troops killed in Iraq than we do the thousands of Iraqis or other foreign people killed by al-Qaida? Uhm, yeah, probably.

Vietnam wasn't much of a story in the U.S. until it was our troops dying.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

The distinction was made earlier, so I think that's why it carried over.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Hmm...I don't think I said I don't care if someone else dies. Let me check, just to be sure.

Nope. I sure didn't. What I said was, "Do we care more about the thousands of Americans...."

Yep, that's what I said. But to make the illogical leap that if I said a) then I must also mean b) is foolish.

Let's not fool ourselves. As a country, we tend to care about Americans first when it comes to global or regional conflicts. Is it terrible people die in a disaster, accident or war? Of course, but in this country, more attention is given when it's one of our own. To pretend it's otherwise is to, quite frankly, kid yourself.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That's about as dumb a comparison as I've ever seen on this board, and that's saying a lot.
    It's probably a fair statement that few, if any of those drunks drivers actually belted down that last beer and said: "I'm going to get in the car and kill someone."
    Compare that to a terrorist strapping on the suicide belt and heading for the train station or the disco or a street market.
    Dumb statement BT...dumb, dumb, dumb.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Those damn drunks drivers!

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It may seem dumb to you, but his comparison was spot on solely because of the last line, which you may have missed...

"Now tell me which one I should worry about more on my drive home from work tonight."

That's the crux of the fear which seems to fuel so many of the people who immediately peg Muslims, with that broad brush stroke, for the troubles of the world.

Based solely on the numbers above, NOT THE MOTIVATION, who SHOULD we be more concerned with? And the answer, obviously, is drunk drivers.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

and we know Muslims don't drink because the koran tells us so. I am starting to that Augie Bush is a greater threat to our way of life.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wow, one of the more nonsensical posts I've read in a while. Been taking lessons, have you? Care to re-write that one in English?

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

There are over a million abortions annually in US. Should we consider abortion doctors terriorists?

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Because every time we point out how much terrorism and terrorist attacks worldwide have INCREASED since our ill-fated foray into Iraq, you guys come back with, "But there haven't been any attacks on American soil yada yada yada."

The "American soil" argument means a hell of a lot more to you than it does to me because, frankly, that's the ONLY thing you have left to cling to . . . until the next attack.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Holy moley. You could not only fit Edward Woodward and some farm animals, but the entire cast of every episode of the Equalizer and every animal on the King Ranch in some of the Wicker Man-sized strawman arguments in this thread.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted