1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Extreme Muslim Class of 2007

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 18, 2007.

1. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

I don't understand the jewish lawyer reference. The stereotype is that jewish lawyers are very good. When Archie Bunker needed a lawyer he'd call the 3 Rabinowitzes and ask for the oldest one, since "he's the most jewish".

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Absolutely Brilliant.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

ditto -

Alla - I would say my state of mind is more one of annoyance at being inconvenienced by security measures.

Perhaps you could share your thoughts with Homeland security and get them to remove airport security checks. Seems like they are no longer necessary.
    This would send a real message to the terrorists that their threats do no bother us.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Yet another absolutist who sees things only as one extreme or another. Obviously, trying to have an intelligent, reasoned conversation with you and Junkie is impossible. And Junkie, I'd say the "tone" of your words speaks more than the actual letters you typed. You and Boom definitely are filled with fear, otherwise, your annoyance would be with terrorists of all kinds, not just Muslims.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

If Islam just went away, there would never ever be another hijacking of an airplane or bombing of any American building.

6. Yes.
    Because you laugh at the things you listed above and yet, every time some guy in a cave in Pakistan releases a video, you're running around screaming that the brown Muslim people are coming to get us.
    Peter Bergen, who knows more about bin Laden than anyone, said on CNN last night that he thinks the video is pretty useless.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Your post is exactly why I used the term absolutist. And it's why I deign to think I know how you and Boom think. You're speaking in absolutes, which wasn't even close to what I suggested, and you're so closed-minded that you can't hear anything but that.

If you can find, in any word I posted, where I suggested we just ignore terror threats, please post it. You can't because you won't find the words. My beef with you and Boom is that you're letting your fear -- and it is fear because reasonable people have reasoned responses, not flippant remarks -- of Muslim terrorists extend to virtually all Muslims, only begrudgingly admitting that "not all Muslims" are like that. Yeah, thanks for your "tolerance."

And to compare this to how anti-religious people respond to fundamentalists is wild. People who call out fundamentalists do so not because they hate God, but because they want to expose the hypocrisy of the religious right, which too often preaches God's word but only the parts which are convenient to them.

There's a world of difference between seeking shelter when a thunderstorm comes (a verifiable and real threat with a reasoned and proven response in kind) and hearing about terror threats, wailing about these awful Muslims who cause us to be held up in security lines at airports and saying "they" are a constant threat.

If you can't see the difference, then it's one more example of why you're part of what's wrong with America.

8. Boom_70

Pretty funny considering you have been so critical of Bush for not paying attention to warnings about Bin Laden when he took office.
    By all accounts it seems like he took up your suggestion not to pay attention to warnings.

9. Boom_70

Not to mention that you did not here a lot of protests from Muslims - good or bad regarding said leaders comments of hatrid. I took their silence to mean that they approved.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

You're changing your tune, softening your message, then making it harder to suit your own needs. It's like trying to follow a superball bouncing on sidewalk.

First you're widely condemning Muslims, then you narrow your focus to "people who live in a region," which is a far cry from what you were saying earlier.

"Anti-relig'ous people" is clearly not the same as people who seek to expose the hypocrisy of fundamentalists, who preach God's word and intolerance in the same breath. The fact that you ask "How is that not the same?" spells volumes about your lack of vision on the entire topic.

Is there a lot of hate in "that region?" No doubt. But rather than saying, "hey, they hate us, beware!" maybe we ought to look at why they hate us and see what we can do to maintain our own lives while minimizing our impact on theirs. It's called co-existence, and just because certain factions might not want co-existence doesn't mean our only alternative is to blow them the hell off the planet. That tends to be the same logic "they" are using.

And as an aside note, I seem to recall a very notable man of God calling for the offing of another nation's leader, which isn't too far of a stretch from your claim above.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Boom, that's idiotic. You don't hear widespread Christian condemnation of those who kill or bring fear and terror into the lives of others based on their interpretation of "God's word." Tell me how it's different (other than the tired and pointless argument of 'Christians don't kill in the same numbers as Muslims...blah blah blah).

12. This is barely coherent, but I'll try.
    This administration blew off the warnings all throughout the spring and summer of 2001. (It ignored al Qaeda simply because the Clinton people had spent so much time on it and anything they did was, prima facie, not worth doing.) Since the attacks of 9/11, it has completely politicized the threat, ginning up terrorist-threat levels for maximum political advantage, issuing conflicting advice ("Be afraid but fly to Disney World!"), announcing old arrests at politically convenient times, etc. etc. etc. The question you posed, Boom, is one of credibility. Bergen has it. This administration does not so, no, I'm not going to come out screaming "The brown Muslim people are coming for us!" every time some video gets posted on the web.
    Fear sells, but it's a lousy basis for any kind of policy.

Draft saved Draft deleted