1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Extreme Fighting A Sport?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by James307, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I said from the start, XFL would fail, but OK, I see your point.

So what if there is no staying power. It's here now. People are interested. Isn't it our job to provide coverage to events, whether or not it's going to be around in two years?

It's not our job to promote the sport, but anyone who says we shouldn't be covering this is a reason we are becoming more irrelevant by the day.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You're kidding, right? The UFC is about to stage its 86th pay-per-view event, for crying out loud. The UFC brand has been around for 15 years. The Ultimate Fighter reality show on Spike is about to enter its seventh season.

It's not going away, and in all likelyhood is going to continue to grow.

If a paper has someone who covers boxing, even in a part-time capacity in addition to other duties, how can you not have them do MMA as well?

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

It's violent. This is America. It'll stay.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'm not basing an editorial decision on a demographic whose tastes change based on which new beer advertising campaign came out. And don't give me anything about twentysomethings not being that shallow. Most of them are not. Those most of them make up the vast minority of MMA's growth. Sorry, I'd rather die as a biz than become bread and circuses.

And GB, no I'm not kidding. And seven seasons? Whoa, that's only one digit from 70! And be Mr. Sports Editor, answer my question.

And Perennial: the way PKA stayed?

5. For some reason, I don't see the majority of MMA fans as being big readers.

6. dooley_womack1

OK, GB, you finally gave me something non-breathless I can answer: I wouldn't significantly cover either sport, but I'd give more consideration to boxing as far as what I'd consider breaking news to put a GA on. Granted, it hasn't been on Spike for seven years....

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

There's no need to provide 45 inches a week to MMA...yet. ;)

It also depends on the size of the paper. Should the Podunk Press run MMA every week? Not unless there's local flavor.

Should the Freep or the Star-Telegram run a little something now and again? Absolutely.

Many of you are underestimating the impact of "low brow" people. (I know there's a better way to put it, but I'm drawing a blank. It's not meant to be offensive. Most of my friends, and me to a point, are of that ilk.)

I'm not comparing MMA to NASCAR, but it carries a lot of the same audience members.

8. joe

joe Active Member

I'm starting a new sport called "Two Guys Beating Each Other with Clubs." I predict huge ratings among the 18-34 male demographic.

9. dooley_womack1

Yeah, and where's that weekly backyard wrestling column?

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Says who?

As you say, we are a changing society. So, why wouldn't we change a little to mimic the society in which we live?

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

As long as they don't win by choking, joe. That would be ... undignified. ;)

12. Young people don't buy newspapers. Never have, never will.

We need to do a better job of retaining the readers we have, rather than trying to attract a group who aren't going to buy the paper no matter what we do.

Draft saved Draft deleted