1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Extraordinarily rare baseball cards found in Ohio attic might fetch millions..

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gehrig, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2171616/Extraordinarily-rare-baseball-cards-Ohio-attic-fetch-MILLIONS-auction.html

I know there's a few card collectors at SJ, so I thought I'd post this. Some really old and fascinating cards he was able to find.

2. Saw this last night. Really neat story.

I wrote a story on a couple renovating a house a few years ago. When they removed some baseboard in an old bedroom the wife found some 1952 Topps cards.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I still blame my mom. :'(

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was shocked to see that none of the cards in that guy's attic were 1989 Fleer Gregg Jeffries rookies or Billy Ripken error cards.

5. Those are in my closet.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm no collector, but I wish I had a Bill Ripken error card.

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I went to my parents' house last weekend. My mom said she had "some" baseball cards of mine from when I was a teen/in my early 20's she was going to package up so I could take them back. She said they needed to clear out some space.

Mind you, I was an avid collector up until the mid 90s, about the time I lost interest because there were just too many card companies offering cards that cost more than I wanted to play. And my mom was out there looking for deals for me and bringing stuff home.

I still didn't expect three suitcases full of cards.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'll give you $10 for the Billy Ripken.

9. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

When I saw the picture of the Wagner card, and that it's graded GEM! MINT! TEN! all I could think of was this guy:

We've got a 1987 Fleer!!! FACTORY SET!!! Get it on stretch pay!

Draft saved Draft deleted