1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Extra work

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, May 20, 2008.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How many people here have to write material for a team's program? Is it common with smaller papers?

2. The Granny

The Granny Guest

I work a small shop and never had to do that. Why do you "have" to, if I may ask?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't. Other's do, though.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I didn't have to, but I was asked to write something summing up a team's season for an exhibition overseas, and I gladly did it.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you mean for free?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

that's what I was wondering.

If they're paying you, take the money and run. Yeah, it could be perceived as a conflict of interest. And until someone pays you enough so you don't have to whore yourself out...fuck it.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and if they aren't paying? fuck it.

mechanics don't fix your car for free.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't understand this concept of free work. Why shouldn't the team have to pay for a copy writer for its program? Is it a throw-in in some ad deal?

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

That's crap. A quid pro quo ad deal should be worked out with your sports section. Or in the media guide, an ad for your section.
    If that can't be worked out, you should be paid for your time. You guys want to know why you're paid less than virtually every working profession? Because you "gladly" ... "write something summing up a team's season for an exhibition overseas."
    Goddamn it. That pisses me off.

(Mike, it's not just you. It's the whole profession. It's been going on for a while. God, it's irritating.)

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I wrote mine on company time because it had my byline on it, complete with the paper's name. I'd probably have done it anyway because it was an opportunity I probably will never have again. But I don't work for free, for the most part.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't work for someone else for free.

I get paid crap by my job as it is.

12. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

We aren't allowed to.

Draft saved Draft deleted