1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

External Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hank_Scorpio, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Is it better to go with an external hard drive or one of those portable hard drives?

Mainly just for backup. Don't really need to travel with it.

Would say 500 GB be enough, or go with the 1 or 2 TB?

Which brands are the best? Western? Iomega? Seagate?

Also, probably better to buy from Tigerdirect or newegg instead of Best Buy?
  2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I have a Western Digital portable USB harddrive I used for storing movies and music, but it crapped out after a year. It's basically a piece of shit.

I have a Seagate external powered USB hard drive backing up a lot of stuff now. It does the job, but is not portable. I use less expensive USB sticks for portability now.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Western Digital is a POS. I burned through two of them in recent years.

Depending on what you're backing up, consider Google Documents. I use that and Flicker as a backup to my backups.
  4. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Can you post something that's not a pic to flickr?
  5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Mine is 1.5TB; Western Digital external, but not portable. Bought on Dell for 89.
    Can buy for the same thing on Amazon...
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No, that's where Google Docs comes in. It'll handle just about any file.
  7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Mainly photos.

Most of my downloaded music I was able to get on two flash drives.

I don't have a flickr account, but could get one as another backup. How much do they let you store?
  8. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I got a 1 TB Western Digital external drive last year, and have had no problems with it. I've got all my music backed up on there, and I store all my movies on there that I don't want clogging up my laptop's hard drive, and I haven't even made a dent in the memory (turns out, a terabyte is a lot of memory).
  9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

What in the world is anyone doing with anything that comes close to 1 TB?

I don't know that I could fill that if I digitized everything in my home.
  10. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I have a phenomenal number of photographs, and a bit of video. It's not 1 TB, but it's close, and if I want any sort of redundancy, I'm looking at a couple of TB drives, as my archive is larger than a 500 GB drive will hold.
  11. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Anybody on here ever have any luck recovering files from a Western that went to shit?
  12. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I hope I never have to.
Draft saved Draft deleted