1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

External hard drives

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bydesign77, Feb 15, 2007.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Without delving into sexual references...

I am taking a film making class. After working to edit a minute clip out of six minutes of shooting, I realized how much memory that stuff takes up.

DVD-Rs only hold 4GB of stuff. I have to make a 30 minute film by the end of the semester.

I have an old desktop that isn't used anymore. I have a 40 GB drive on there. I was thinking of taking that out and making it an external one.

Any ideas on how to do this?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Might be better just to buy an external one with a USB input...

3. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

EDIT: slappy and I agree

So basically you want to hook up both your computers?

Alternatively, you could buy a USB external hard drive. They're getting cheap nowadays.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

try looking at tigerdirect.com... pretty inexpensive and good quality

5. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

probably not a bad idea to just buy an external, especially since you'll probably be able to get something bigger than 40 GB pretty affordably.

but if you do want to try making one out of the other hard drive, i'm pretty sure you can buy a case (which will have usb hookups) and hook the drive itself into the case, essentially converting it from internal to external. but i'm not sure what that'd cost and if it would be worth it vs. just buying one.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I thought there was a case you could buy to do this... I'll check out some places to see... I am trying to do it on the cheep, you know?

7. ARD

ARD Member

Newegg has lots of external hard-drive cases: http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=92&name=External-Enclosures

But a new Firewire or USB2 drive would make more sense. Faster and more capacity, and the faster the better with video editing.

Also, dual-layer DVD blanks hold about 8GB, and most newer DVD writers are DL-capable. But the blanks are expensive compared with regular DVD blanks.

8. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Just as a frame of reference, every 4.5 minutes or so of digital video will take up one gig of space on your hard drive.

Draft saved Draft deleted