1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Extended warranty on leather couch?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I am one of those people who tends to think extended warranties, or service contracts, are a huge rip-off. But I'm buyin ga $1,000+ leather sofa and had one offered for $179 that covers rips and burns and other shenanigans for four years.

My biggest concern isn't that I'd never need to use it, it's that these kinds of warranties are notorious for not letting you use them when you need to. They'll say that you didn't report the damage soon enough, or that your damage isn't covered, or in the case of a sofa, that I have to bring it in to be repaired and I don't own a truck so how the hell am I gonna do that and still make it worth it?

I'm leaning toward not buying one - I just need you folks to convince me I'm right! Haha.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

The one I bought included mechanical parts breakdown, and since it it has a recliner as part of it, it's a good thing I did. The hinges on the recliner broke twice and they came out and fixed it each time. Worth the investment. Not sure I'd have done it if it wasn't a recliner/sofa and it just covered burns, etc.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

This is a recliner... you're leading me the wrong way!

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I bought a couch a few months ago and had the opportunity to buy an extended warrantly that covered rips, stains, and burns. I thought about the amount of times I ripped, stained, or burned my previous couch over the years that the warranty covered, and took them up on a $10 bottle of stain remover instead.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

smallpotatoes is the board expert on these kinds of things.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"You should instead buy a nice plastic cover."

- every New Yorker's great aunt

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The only extended warranties I've found worth it are those for lap top computers. I've used every time and process is painless.

I would read to fine print to see what's required to submit a claim. Most of the time it's a hassle.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Do you have pets?

If that sofa was in my house, I would be filing a claim every month. Don't think that would go over well.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Leather gets better with use and abuse, unless you really do plan to set the couch on fire.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You're with me, leather couch warranty.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Or Santa Barbara.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

He also might live in the Carolinas and plan to use it as porch furniture.

Draft saved Draft deleted