1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exposure versus compensation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tweener, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

My first internship in college was for credit, not pay, and I didn't care for it. Working all summer without pay is really hard to do when you have living expenses, and I still didn't like the fact that the company was getting my work for free. They could simply dangle "college credit" and justify not paying people. My school, in turn, didn't have to do anything to get my money for the credits other than sign the approval. I didn't like that, either.

I guess it was the principal. I later worked for the same company, different paper, out of college and found that the same cheapskate business practices were in place across the board. Not paying interns was indicative of how little the company values those who provide the content that generates millions (yes, millions) for this large organization. Really sad.

Draft saved Draft deleted