1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exposing Plagiarism/Fabrication

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I interned at a place that did that. At the time I remember thinking, "Jesus, don't you trust anybody?" but in hindsight, it was a great thing to do... I'll bet we could count on both hands how many papers still do that.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you're working as an SID, don't burn a news organization on here. If you work in a PR capacity, and the media uses your stories verbatim, don't complain., because if you do, you shouldn't be in PR.

3. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

I once worked at a shop where a columnist was caught by a reader plagiarizing the NY Times. Management swept it under the table. They told him to go away for a couple of months, then he was back writing his crap. The public was never informed and everyone at the place - being fearful of their jobs in a non-unionzed newsroom - never talked about it openly either.
    Guy tried to blame the deskers saying he sent a second version later in the night that we didn't change. Ah, nope.
    Guy is now a columnist at the country's biggest newspaper.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What is so sad about this story is how easy it is to believe...

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

A newspaper that runs an SID release verbatim really isn't doing so because it's beautifully written. It's doing so because it's lazy.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Careful Canucklehead. That one, to me, is pretty obvious.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Or understaffed and overtaxed. I don't think that type of thing is much of a problem if it's clearly marked, though I hate marking those "From staff and wire services." The best thing to do for the Web is to post a news release on a blog in a block quote with a sentence introducing it. Most places don't have the staffs to follow up on everything, and it's better to have the information via public relations than nothing.

Now, if you're willing to devote more than a paragraph or two in print to a news release, that probably indicates you should actually be reporting out the story.

Draft saved Draft deleted