1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Export baby export! Big oil screws us again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 8, 2011.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Big oil tells us we need to drill in Alaska, drill offshore, and build huge pipelines to "decrease our dependence on foreign oil." All the while American refineries are EXPORTING more gas to India, China, etc., than we're importing, and that's keeping the price of gas artificially high in this country (about $1 a gallon higher than last year).

I'm sure I "just don't understand the oil market" or some such nonsense but it seems to me one real good way to reduce our dependence on foreign oil is to keep what oil we do produce in-country.

And let's give them more tax breaks!

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-gas-prices-20110907,0,3637683.story

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The oil companies can't even build the infrastructure to capture the natural gas they already have access to, especially in North Dakota where much of it is just burnt off in the fields.

3. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

I can't for the life of me understand why huge corporations don't seem very concerned with my concerns. I'm sure there's a good reason.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Drill here, drill now! Then export it to other countries!

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Kind of like here in Ontario where we generate more electricity than the grid can handle. So, because the electricity can't be stored, we have to pay other jurisdictions to take it from us. Can you imagine that? We can't sell the excess, we actually have to pay someone else to use it on our behalf. Ridiculous.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

BP's had 2 major strikes in the Gulf of Mexico just this week. One that can yield up to 4 billion barrels of oil and another they won't say how big.

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-market-news-story.aspx?storyid=201109071234dowjonesdjonline000440&title=update-bp-finds-more-oil-at-mad-dog-complex-in-us-gulf

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Our energy policy doesn't make sense and until it's figured out, the "Drill, baby, Drill" drones will keep on blabbering. Too bad most of them don't want to live next door to an oil refinery.

Draft saved Draft deleted