1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explosions at int'l airport in Istanbul

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KJIM, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Kinda takes away from the narrative that jihadists hate us for who we are.

They hate other Muslims, too.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Mr. Sunshine usually doesn't bother me at all, but this was ridiculous, and really upsetting, particularly so soon after the thread began. How can any side determine what any side thinks, or feels, particularly based on silence that occurs so early on?

That said, I'll go ahead and tell you why I think there wasn't too much reaction right off: Frankly, because people are in shock, and awe, and outrage, and paralyzed by the fact that they, and the rest of the world, have no idea how to answer this question: HOW DO WE STOP THIS GODDAMN GARBAGE FROM HAPPENING?

Come on, what's the answer?

There isn't one. Hence, the silence.

People are just so freaking tired of it that there is some very real fatigue, and yes, fear, attached to it now. But that doesn't mean people aren't watching. listening, caring, and hoping, you know, that yes, we can actually STOP THIS GODDAMN GARBAGE FROM HAPPENING, and yet, knowing that we can't.

Given that I'll be sitting at various points in three of the world's largest airports come August, it kind of has me genuinely worried about more than whether YF thinks, or cares, whether I'd make whiskey illegal (which I wouldn't, by the way). You all really amaze me with how little you gain or understand, realize or intuit about people based on their posts.

But no matter. My point is, I'd wager that mine are some real reasons that people -- no matter their viewpoints -- might not have spouted off on the first page of this thread. There's really nothing to say, or that can be said, about this crap anymore.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Now do conservatives.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised that you took his post personally, considering what a lifelong, dedicated liberal Democrat you are.

5. Baron Scicluna

Yep. It's clearly was set up for the exact day that the Benghazi report came out.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

And your point with regard to my actual point?

Considering the scope and horror of that attack, this has been one of the most ineffectual, useless and empty threads we've ever had on such a topic. Look at it. There's virtually no substance to it. I was just trying to give it some, and also provide an actual real reason why there isn't any, instead of people just assuming there's no one caring about it, presuming to know why.

See y'all. I have to go to work.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It's as though you've never seen a liberal assign racism as a motive to every conservative -- which happens every single minute of every single day.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Conservatives are more nuanced.

Their thoughts are all over the map from should we carpet bomb all Muslim countries? To do we have enough bombs?

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah. They hate other Muslims who act like us.

Do you not understand this?

They understand that there is no such thing as a cafeteria Muslim. You're either in, or you're out.

They view cafeteria Muslims as apostates, deserving of death.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That is a great fucking line.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Guys, I wasn't able to overlay the Turkey flag for my avatar, but I did the best I could.
    [​IMG]

12. Baron Scicluna

How do you know they're acting like us?

The Taliban used to put to death men whose beards they judged weren't long enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted