1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explosions at int'l airport in Istanbul

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KJIM, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Definitely South Park material there.

old_tony likes this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No, I've gone soft. There's a difference.

Back to the news at hand, I wonder what the purpose of the pre-suicide-bombing gunfight was. Did they want to blow something else up and just get stopped?

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As near as I can make out, the guns were to blast past outside the airport security and get into the passenger-laden arrivals area (customs, baggage claim, etc) where they could use the bombs to maximum effect. At arrivals though, outside is often just as crowded as inside.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wondered that, too. Maybe they wanted to get further into the airport where it was more populated. Saw video of one police officer shooting one of the suspects then running when the guy was down because he saw he had a bomb. Then a blast.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You worry way too much about discerning people's underlying motivations, which have zilch to do with whether a policy works.

6. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

That sounds like a really cool video. You have the link?

7. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

The terrorists probably tried while playing Medal of Honor and decided to try it for real.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Cool? I saw it on NBC news. On a television.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

When I first heard it, my gut feeling was they wanted to cause a shootout and have everyone flee to the same place, where they would then be blown up.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

You dickheads might get the thread locked before KJIM responds to my query on Page 2. Chill. KJIM, feel free to PM if it does lock.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Well no shit. You think people in Turkey were changing their facebook statuses when Dylan Roof killed 9 black people in SC?
    The shooter was not a repressed Hispanic was he?

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

So the liberal desire to limit assault weapons is a power play and has nothing to do with innocent civilians being mowed down? Duly noted.

Draft saved Draft deleted