1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explosion in Times Square

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spup1122, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Or a Planned Parenthood clinic.

2. Yes, because the military has received authentically terrible press over the past decade.
    Please, guys.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

And...we're off.

4. Nope.
    Said my piece.
    Any updates from folks with access to the wires?

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Police said the device is similar to the ones used in the other bicycle attacks. It'll be interesting to see this guy if they do catch him. Sounds like a Unabomber lite-type.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Well let's hope his brother turns him in. [/andthentheynailMcNulty'sprofile]

7. Small Town Guy

But instead of the media getting this guy's manifesto, he'll just publish it on a blog.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the coverage, do authorities think this is related to the bombing at Michael Imperioli studio some months back?

9. Small Town Guy

I haven't heard that. Forgot about that bombing. They think this one is linked to the ones at foreign consulates in 2005 and 2007, which also happened around the same time and a guy on a bike was spotted at those places. I don't remember seeing that they thought the Imperioli one was related to the consulate bombings.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Here's what I want to understand:

In Israel today, at least 7 Jewish rabbinical students were killed when terrorists walked in with machine guns and shot up the school's dining hall. Dozens more injured.

Why is that not happening here in the US? Not talking about deranged students on campus, I'm talking about terrorist attacks, suicide bombs. NY has a guy on a bike messing up empty buildings....it just amazes me we haven't seen much much worse in the wake of 9/11 and the current war.

11. Small Town Guy

Here's what I've wondered sometimes: what if it were "terrorists" doing the shooting on campuses and at schools? Would there be more calls for something to actually be done to prevent them from obtaining the means to carry out those attacks, instead of just saying, well, these things happen? I'd assume yes. The population here isn't as radicalized as in other nations; Muslims identify as Americans, not as some type of mortal enemies of the country.

People have been predicting suicide bombings would happen here for years. And maybe they will. But this country will always, I think, have more lone wackos going off the rails than some type of concerted attacks.

12. Well, since we found an al Qaeda manual that specifically said the United States was vulnerable due to its lax gun laws, and we still haven't done dick to tighten them up, I'd say the answer is no.

Draft saved Draft deleted