1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explosion in Times Square

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spup1122, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

When spy cams won't do the trick...

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Was Jesse Levis staying in Times Square last night?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why can't there be small explosions? A firecracker makes noise via an explosion. I'd call a tiny explosion.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I dunno. I was thinking more of "a device detonated" or describing what happened before using a relative term, or adjective, like small.

I'm sure it was not small if you were 20 feet from it, and yes it is small compared with 9-11, but that was a series crashes and not exploding bombs.

My take when reading that lede was CNN is trying to smooth over what happened and not be so dramatic. I'm probably wrong, but that is the way I read it.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Small, devil, in that it made a lot of noise but did little damage.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Supposedly it shook the Marriott a few blocks away. That doesn't sound like a small explosion even if it did little damage.

7. Inky_Wretch

What did it shake? The windows or the actual steel and concrete?

There are lowriders with stereo systems loud enough to shake the windows. Shaking the building itself would require a much larger explosion, one that would cause considerable damage.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's funny how much this is being downplayed. I wonder how hysterical the coverage would be if it hadn't been a recruiting center.

9. Inky_Wretch

That's a good point.

Even if this did little to no damage, if it had been at the Empire State Building I think coverage would be non-stop.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

It's Times Square. That's arguably as iconic a symbol as the Empire State Building. I don't think it's being underplayed, as here it seems to be receiving the same amount of coverage as the other bicycle bombs did. Also, the fact it was early in the morning and not a live video of it certainly keeps it from becoming a nonstop, over-the-top thing.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

As Jeff Dunham said through Achmed the Terrorist, "Location, location, location."

12. It is funny that it's gathered rather less attention than any number of phony "terrorist" plots over the past five years -- the Miami guys, the pizza-delivery men who were going to conquer Fort Dix, the guys who were going to cut down the Brooklyn Bridge with a blowtorch, the guys who were going use their mind-melds to blow up JFK. Even the Aqua Teen Hunger Force fruitloops set off more of a panic than this did.

Draft saved Draft deleted