1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explosion in Times Square

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spup1122, Mar 6, 2008.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

All we're getting is preliminary reports that there was an explosion but there doesn't seem to be anything concrete except that they've blocked off parts of Times Square and all the subways that run under Times Square are being deverted. Any NYSportsJournalists.commers have anything more detailed?

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

NEW YORK (AP) _ An explosive device damaged a military recruiting station in Times Square early Thursday, and police blocked off the area to investigate.

The explosive device caused minor damage, and no one was injured, police said. The explosion shattered a glass entryway.

Members of the police department's bomb squad and fire officials gathered outside the recruiting station.

Witnesses staying at a hotel in the area said they heard a "big bang" and could feel the building shake. A large plume of smoke was also visible after the explosion, they said.

Subway trains were not stopping at the Times Square station during the investigation, and police cars and tape blocked the streets.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

CNN's got a story up. I think the AP one might be more detailed though.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/06/times.square/index.html

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Thanks. We actually just got the AP story, too.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

You're welcome; I lucked out that it moved about 10 seconds before I logged onto AP Exchange.

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

You know what? I lie. What moved for us was information from CBS' (on the affiliate system) but it comes over the wires like all our AP stuff, so AP broadcast hasn't sent anything yet.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

This thread will be 15 pages and full of pissing and moaning by 3 pm EST.

8. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Probably. Thats why I started it now when the respectable members are online. :)

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ouch.

11. And now it begins.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

From the CNN story...

"New York police said a small explosion outside a military recruiting station in Times Square early Thursday caused minor damage but no injuries."

Since when is an explosion small?

Draft saved Draft deleted