1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explosion at Boston Marathon II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Best thing to do Care Bear when you're running out of salient counterpoints.

2. Wade Wilson

Wade Wilson Member

Dog, never said you think all Muslims are bad. But what you're suggesting, that treatment implies it. That's why the suggested treatment is wrong.

And bringing Newtown into the discussion makes you look stupid, it makes you look like an ass, and it's just more right-wing gun-gripping head-in-the-sand ignorance. Change the damn record already.

3. dog eat dog world

Bullshit man. Bullshit.

You can't say "sweep the nation of all guns" including those from responsible gun owners and then diss the screening of all Muslims, performed because of the obvious threat that comes from members of that religion. Unless your motive is political rather than concerning national security.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Please point to someone on this thread, or even the Newtown thread who said that we should "sweep the nation of all guns". You're making up strawmen again, which you use to scare yourself into believing your crazy ideas make sense. How about actually arguing against the ideas that people have presented?

5. Wade Wilson

Wade Wilson Member

I live in Boston. Some of my loved ones were in the line of fire. And at no point - not two seconds after the bombs went off, not that night, and not the night they caught the men responsible - did I ever think, "we need to get this Muslim problem under control." For the same reason I didn't hurry to find out what church the Newtown shooter went to so I could figure out if we need to do a sweep of every Catholic/Baptist/Presbyterian/whatever. Because this isn't about religion. Nothing in Islam teaches people to do this. This is about hatred, about resentment, about one guy deciding all the people who have pissed him off in America need to pay, and he corralled his little brother into punishing them too.

6. Wade Wilson

Wade Wilson Member

Show me where I said it. It's really easy. This site has a neat quote function, you don't even have to type it. Just quote me. Where'd I say we need to sweep anyone's guns?

Of course you can't. Because I didn't say that. Because I don't think that. I don't want to take lawfully bought guns out of people's hands. I want to make certain guns illegal to buy, and I want to make it harder to buy the legal ones. Harder. Not impossible. I want you to have to jump through hoops. If that makes me a lily-livered liberal, then I'll wear the title with honor.

But we're not talking about Newtown. Stop changing the subject, just because your argument is starting to sprout leaks.

7. dog eat dog world

I'm a Christian and I'll be the first to admit that the Old Testament would seem to advocate historically the killing of any non-Jews because that was part of the journey of those people. The Koran says the same kind of things in context, and like Christianity has seen over the centuries, Islam has those who take it literally and as part of a continuing cause.....

8. dog eat dog world

"And bringing Newtown into the discussion makes you look stupid, it makes you look like an ass, and it's just more right-wing gun-gripping head-in-the-sand ignorance. Change the damn record already" says plenty.

9. Wade Wilson

Wade Wilson Member

Amazingly, you're absolutely right. So why do Muslims now get treated as all potentially radical because some of them are radical? We don't harass Christians at the doors of their churches just because the KKK still exists in some Appalachian, moonshine form. And we never did. Why do Muslims get treated different? I mean, I know the reason, but I'd love to hear your answer.

10. Wade Wilson

Wade Wilson Member

No, it doesn't. At least not to anyone with a comprehension of the English language.

11. dog eat dog world

And I still maintain the people who want to rid the country of high powered gun ownership, would cry uncle until they sweat blood if we treated the Muslim problem that way.

These are the same people who applauded a newspaper's listing owners of guns in that community. What if they had done that to every Muslim in that community?

If you're not one of these, fine, but the arguments on those subjects are identical in principle.

12. dog eat dog world

Wade, you weren't worth a shit as a quarterback and you're about as bad in an argument.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.