1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explosion at Ariana Grande concert in Manchester; fatalities

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, May 22, 2017.

1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

How many Christians in the Middle East are carrying out mass terror attacks?

But I admire your path here. You're this close to saying climate change creates terrorists.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

See you say that and then you immediately make this statement ...

So please tell me what inferences I'm supposed to make.

And I don't mean to belabor the point, but it is a simple minded approach to just blame a religion for the problems of today. YF has subtextually implied this every damn time he questions the motive of an attack. You're doing it now. The whole reason this argument even got started was because someone on here said it is the people within the religion who are bad, not the religion itself. You try to mock when I state the rise of terrorism in the Middle East has more to do with how people feel the rest of the world is giving them a raw deal in life but it's true. Two kinds of people become terrorists: the crazy and the desperate. The crazy have a hard time recruiting others when the people aren't desperate.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Keep telling yourself that.

As for inferences, you are to infer that ignoring the role Islam plays in the biggest threat facing the modern world is as dangerous as it is ignorant.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Sorry for noting this in what is probably not a proper forum, but the line at the end of that sketch (which I will not repeat), and the way it was delivered, was the single most effective use of shock comedy I've ever seen.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

How can the rest of the world give them a better deal?

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Then you are addressing an imaginary statement. That was never said.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Sorry, but this is horseshit. "Common thugs" generally aren't into suicide. The reason these guys consistently choose to go down with the ship is because the Koran teaches them that's the martyr path ensuring eternal bliss. Not sure what your definition of "religious" is, but I dare say willingness to end your life based on religious doctrine qualifies under mine.

And the KKK analogy is also hugely flawed. KKKers might've claimed to be Christians, but their loathsome acts were not in any way guided by Christian doctrine. There are no biblical passages where Jesus instructs white people to wear stupid-looking robes, burn crosses or lynch black people--instead those morons came up with that shit entirely on their own.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    cyclingwriter2 and QYFW like this.
  8. Spartan Squad

I feel honored, I finally got accused of replying to an imaginary post.

I was responding to him saying that some take the Lord's name in vain while others blow people up. The implication was Christians aren't terrorists but Muslims are. He reinforced this idea in some of his responses especially when he asked why Christians in the Middle East aren't terrorists. That was what I took from QYFW's post. I'll always say that I might be reading too much into something. Here I think there's a defense for my response. I'll readily admit reasonable people can say I'm wrong because I've been wrong before and will be again.

I hope that made sense. If you disagree with any of that, by all means disagree. I'll listen.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

How is the rest of the world supposed to not give them such a raw deal in life?

10. Spartan Squad

If I had the answer, I'd be lining up for my Nobel peace prize.

The way I see it is the world has to play a long game where you work with the countries to establish security, educational opportunities and help to improve their economies. All the while respecting their customs and religious beliefs. Too vague? See above. Basically let's stop pretending to know what is best for the Middle East and start listening to what the people of the Middle East actually need. Give a helping hand instead of more bombs. This is extra hard because we can't dissolve Israel like some there want nor can we go back to the end of British rule and fix the mistakes made back then. Not to mention any economic and security fix can't be done until ISIS control of parts of Syria and Iraq is extinguished.

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This is so fucking silly I don't even know how to respond.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Do I need to post the goddamn Pew survey on Islam again?

Draft saved Draft deleted