1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explain this to me, please...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jackfinarelli, Sep 11, 2010.

1. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

Fire him now. Can Tennessee do anything right? Well, at least we hired Dooley.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

100 percent.

Under Pearl is the only time in the last 25-30 years the men's program at UT has done anything of note, and with the football team on the down side, they aren't going to kill the golden goose.

I'd say Mike Hamilton is in more danger than Pearl.

3. Crash

Crash Active Member

I don't know, but I'd bet he is. Pearl is Tennessee basketball.

AD Mike Hamilton, however, is probably done-zo.

That said, Pearl should be fired. The accusations of cheating are one thing. But lying about it? If Dez Bryant loses a full season for lying, Pearl has to lose just as much, if not more.

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5582439

5. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Pearl's done. I don't see any way the university can get around canning his ass. The picture of recruits (HS juniors, no less) at his freaking house will be the straw that shatters this particular camel's vertebrae.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I still Hamilton is far more likely to go than Pearl.
    Pearl is a rock star. I don't think the people that write the big checks and sit in the low seats really care if he fudged a little in the recruiting process. I'm sure the donors would much rather have to say "oops" every once in a while than pray for a .500 season.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I think I'll go play the lottery, now that my Vols will be getting off lightly, as I predicted...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/sep/24/utc-placed-ncaa-probation/

8. derwood

derwood Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5648545

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Would like a word.

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

They'll have to pry that Sweet 16 banner out of my cold, dead Panther paws.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

While the inconsistencies between the Dez Bryant and Bruce Pearl cases might be baffling, at first, you have to consider the difficult position that the NCAA was in.

I mean, how do you punish Oklahoma State any more than they already have been?

They're in Stillwater, OK, for heaven's sake.

12. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Oggiedoggie:

Had not thought of that angle but you are absolutely right. I spent about 36 hours in Stillwater, OK back in the mid-1970s and have yet to find any reason to go back...

Draft saved Draft deleted