1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explain this to me, please...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jackfinarelli, Sep 11, 2010.

1. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Here is a line from today's Washintgon Post in the Sports Digest section:

"...Bruce Pearl has acknowledged providing misleading and incorrect information to the NCAA during a 17-month investigation into possible recruiting violations."

The item goes on to say that UT will dock Pearl's pay to the tune of $1.5M over the life of his contract and that the school has forbidden him to do any off-campus recruiting for a year.

I understand why the school has taken these kinds of action. Here is what I do not understand:

Dez Bryant was declared ineligible for an entire season because he lied to NCAA investigators. What is the difference between "lying" and "providing misleading and incorrect information"?

Yes I know that looking for consistency in NCAA dealings is the road to frustration. But, can anyone help me out here?

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Well, it remains to be seen what the NCAA will do about Pearl's lying to them. The sanctions imposed so far were by the University alone. Pearl's yet to get his medicine from the NCAA; as the resident fanboi, I'm hoping he'll get off lightly and the Chattanooga Mocs will be hammered but who knows? The boys in Indy might think the way you do.

All I do know is that following this upcoming game against a very strong Oregon team, UT fans might look back on this Saturday as the day the school's athletics program lost all relevance for years to come.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

At least they can bathe themselves now.

4. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

TigerVols:

Let me be clear; I have no animus towards Bruce Pearl or UT. It seems to me that once Pearl admitted to "misleading and incorrect information" the NCAA folks should act quickly because it was the NCAA folks who set that precedent only a year ago.

Then again, this is the NCAA we are talking about - - the organization that Bob Knight said would have landed in Portugal had they been incharge of organizing the D-Day invation. He may be right on...

5. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

As I understand it, Pearl/UT basically self-reported the "lie" or "misleading/incorrect information" to the NCAA, while Bryant didn't cop to it until after the NCAA had discovered it and punished him.

No idea how much this fact will help Pearl/UT, but it is a difference between the two, if my understanding of the two situations is correct.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Somewhere, Deon Thomas is laughing.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Bob Wade did the same thing when he was the coach at Maryland. Among the punishment that program got was a full year without being on TV. That meant no ACC Tournament that year. Crippled the program right after Gary Williams arrived. But he turned it around.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

NCAA, hell.

UT should fire his ass. Lying to the NCAA during the course of an investigation should be cause for immediate termination.

9. Crash

Crash Active Member

Get real. Pearl only copped to it because they got the official letter of inquiry and he knew the NCAA was going to figure it out if he didn't admit to it first. He didn't get caught in the lie, but he was about to.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

When Midnight Madness hits, what are the odds Pearl is still coaching there?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree that Pearl only fessed up when he knew or was told his version wouldn't fly.

Also agree that if you intentionally lie to NCAA investigators, you should be fired.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted