1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explain this to me -- mother charged in murder

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Daughter goes missing, mother makes tearful plea during press conference for her return.

Months later, mother is charged with the daughter's murder.

Do people not have any soul left?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2008/06/14/boudreau-arrest.html?ref=rss

The mother of Karissa Boudreau, a 12-year-old girl whose body was found near Bridgewater, N.S., last February, has been charged with first-degree murder in her daughter's death, police said Saturday.

Police arrested Penny Boudreau, 34, in Halifax on Friday.

At a news conference by the RCMP and Bridgewater police on Saturday, investigators provided a brief statement and would say only that they do not expect to lay any other charges.

"Investigators feel confident that there was only one person responsible for this homicide," said Bridgewater Chief Brent Crowhurst.

"Karissa must've known her killer," RCMP Supt. Blair McKnight said.

He thanked citizens for their help, saying "a number of them provided valuable information."

Karissa was reported missing Jan. 27 from the parking lot of a grocery store in the town as a snowstorm descended on the region. Penny Boudreau told police she had argued with her daughter that day as they drove to the store.

Boudreau said she went into the store, leaving the girl in a car. When she returned, she told investigators, Karissa was gone.

Two days after she reported her daughter missing, Boudreau appealed to the public for help at an emotional news conference.

The girl's body was discovered Feb. 9 by a passerby on the banks of the LaHave River, just south of the town.

Penny Boudreau was to appear in court in Bridgewater on Monday morning, with extra security.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Mounties always get their (wo)man.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Wouldn't be the first time a missing child turns into a tearful plea from a parent, which turns into the parent being charged with murder . . . ah shit, what was her name . . . Susan Smith?

My guess is there is much more to the story than is being released, especially if they don't want a jury predisposed to evidence through the media, being as high profile as these cases turn into.

Sad situation, regardless.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

It's almost become formulaic: kill your kid, cry for the press, get charged with murder.

It's the ultimate in attention whoring.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever seen this before.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to read up on the Jonbenet case.

Draft saved Draft deleted