1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explain this to me like I'm a second-grader

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 29, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Let's take the CIA drone program. We know about it, but it remains classified.

If they discussed this program at all over unsured email, they violated the law.

Same thing goes for other info, like foreign intelligence.

You can't discuss satellite info. You can't discuss how we gather foreign intelligence. You can't discuss the intelligence operatives in the field.

2. YankeeFan

Got it. Yes.

I thought you may have been defending their actions.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Some folks tell me you can if you say the two magic words: "It's allowed."

4. YankeeFan

Baron, if I view classified info, and then type up a summary of the info for the Secretary of State's review, is that memo classified, or must someone mark it as such for it to "become" classified?

5. YankeeFan

Clinton is funny. When under pressure a while back, she finally apologized, and said what she did was wrong.

But on the campaign trail last week she went back to saying she did nothing wrong and didn't need to apologize.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Depends on if "it's allowed" or not ...

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

#NothingBurger

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The speed limit was changed to 35 mph. The sign when you were driving four years ago was 55 mph, and you were driving 55. Can the government now call you a speeder for going 55 mph in what was a 55 mph zone four years ago just because they've now decided to make it 35 mph?

9. YankeeFan

But that's not what happened.

The law didn't change. The nature of the information didn't change.

It was always classified and they were never allowed to traffic it across an unsecured network.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Was it classified at that time?

And yes, it does matter because otherwise, someone could say a NY Times profile of Lena Dunham is classified.

11. YankeeFan

Yes. The information was always classified, with or without markings.

And, no, unless a Lena Dunham profile contains classified information, it will never be made classified retroactively.

12. YankeeFan

When you reject Baron's false analogy, he thinks he's winning the argument.

Later, he'll bring this up as an example of you running away from his winning argument.

Draft saved Draft deleted