1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explain Awards to Me. Seriously.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jgmacg, Mar 4, 2008.

1. YaBBforum

YaBBforum Member

The Mike Wise to NYT via APSE story (feel free to chime in with actual personal knowledge that didn't make the APSE newsletter):

http://apse.dallasnews.com/oct2002/11-17arnold.html

On the move

By KIRBY ARNOLD
    Everett (Wash.) Herald

Atlantic Coast | Canada | Great Lakes
    Great Plains | Mid-Atlantic | Northeast
    Northwest | Southeast | Southwest | West

Neil Amdur has looked in some unconventional places to hire people for The New York Times sports department. His methods have worked so well that The Times has him recruiting for the entire newsroom.

Amdur, the Times' sports editor since 1990, has been named senior editor for staffing/national recruiting, charged with identifying candidates for reporting and editing positions in all sections of the newspaper.

He will assume his new role full-time when his replacement in the sports department is named.

"It's a job that is something I've done for the paper in my job as sports editor," Amdur said. "I'll be doing it now working with other department heads. It's a nice opportunity to bring young people to the paper."

Amdur's recruiting philosophy is to look beyond the pool of reporters and editors from metro papers.

"I'm not looking for the predictable talent," he said. "Look under the trees and fields for people who may be interesting over and above the kind of people we've been able to get."

He cites one Times sports department success, reporter Mike Wise, as an example of what he's trying to find. Amdur noticed some of Wise's writing in the small-paper category of the APSE contest several years ago and saw a spark the Times could use.

"I read his stuff and I liked it so much that I made a pitch to hire him," Amdur said. "This is a guy who wasn't coming off a high-profile paper and he's done a great job for us."

Now Amdur is uncovering such talent for the rest of the newsroom, a position that will remove him from the daily sports loop for the first time in his career.

Amdur, 62, was a sports reporter at The Times from 1968 to 1975, became a sports producer for CBS in 1975-76 and returned to The Times as a sports reporter from 1976 to 1984. He was editor in chief of World Tennis magazine from 1984 to 1990 before returning to The Times as sports editor.

"I have no mixed feelings," he said. "I'll still be working with the sports editor here, and I'll still have a chance to write pieces."

Best of all, getting away from the 24-7 stress of the sports editor's job may allow him to experience other pleasures.

"I may be able to have a life," he said. "I may be able to go to dinner and go to the theater. Do I need to say more?"

• • •

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the Mike Wise piece, YaBBforum.

Draft saved Draft deleted