1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explain Awards to Me. Seriously.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jgmacg, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Actually, I'd say the real talent in writing that story is knowing how NOT to write it -- those kind of stories tend to write themselves, so the key is to pen it with a subtle hand instead of throwing in literary pyrotechnics because you think the story warrants that kind of treatment. Sort of like framing a perfect rose versus bronzing it and building a disco around it.

But few people win awards by writing awesome stories about mundane topics. State titles and dead parents trump mid-season gamers and senior captains every time.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i was talking more effort, but, yeah.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

When someone explains the ESPYs to me, I'll move on to this question.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

ESPN needed something to fill the void in the summer when the only pro sport going on is baseball, so they created an awards show that doubles as self promotion?

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The Golden Globes of sport. But without the awesome cultural authority of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association behind them.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Maybe we can get the Hollywood Foreign Press to start voting on sports journalism.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Or get the folks at ESPN to choose our OscarTMwinners.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

There Will Be Junction Boys

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

For some, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Plus, like Mizzou said, if you're looking to move up, it looks good on a resume.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I have only entered one contest in the last 7-8 years. When I was younger, it mattered to me if my bosses put me in the APSEs somewhere. I won 3 of them, and it's nice to be able to say I did, but the older you get the less it matters. At least that's been my experience. Once you can call yourself an "award-winning writer" in your bio, I'm not sure what's left.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A Season on the Brink of Atonement

12. I honestly just like going to the state press association and getting drunk with my bosses, friends and colleagues from other papers. Seriously. That's the best part.

Draft saved Draft deleted