1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explain apps to me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 7, 2011.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I like Yelp more.

So explain an app to DW.

Maybe a cross between downloaded software and a website that is easy to use on a Droid or an Iphone?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Websites themselves are easy to use on a Droid or an iPhone. Apps have nothing to do with that.

if anything, it's just basically a shortcut for the ones that are websites. Instead of having to type www.tmz.com into my browser, I click on the TMZ app and I'm there.

Does Yelp do a scan for things in the area? If so, I didn't know that. I know you can get reviews on there, but didn't know it had the interactivity of Layar.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I know you like Layar, but I tried it and didn't like it.

With Yelp I can do a bunch of filtering. I would give it another look. It seems to work pretty well.

What is the best app for restaurant reviews? Yelp is OK, but not great.

4. imjustagirl

I was just saying if it had the scanning capabilities of Layar, I'd take a look.

I use Yelp for restaurant reviews, because I don't really know of anything else. Does Zagat deal with real restaurants, or only hoity-toity ones?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You take a song off your computer, transfer it to your phone and then clip 15 seconds of it that you can use as a ringtone. It's so easy, even I can do it.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've never quite understood the fascination with ringtones. Then again, it tilts me to no end when people let their phone rings for seemingly MINUTES before answering.

7. Mizzougrad96

I like knowing who is calling without having to look at Caller ID. I agree about people letting it go too long. That drives me crazy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, some are just shortcuts to a website, but others, because they use your GPS, give you a much better experience than the actual website.

I'll use OpenTable or Fandango (movie tickets) apps even if I'm sitting in front of my laptop.

9. Mizzougrad96

I have a maps app on my phone. I can pick it up and say an address and it will just start giving me directions.

It's nuts... I'm pretty new to the Smartphone deal, but wow is it amazing what some of them can do.

10. imjustagirl

God, I can't get ANYWHERE any more without my maps app. It's a GPS without having to pay for one. :D

11. Mizzougrad96

We have a GPS and the phone is probably 5X as fast. It's just amazing.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The goal of an app is to present content in a more appealing way than you can with a traditional website. Plus, consumers don't have to wade through bookmarks or search engines as you would do in a browser.

Draft saved Draft deleted