1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Expiration dates for beer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BB Bobcat, Oct 28, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And beer is even close to the expiration date, why?

My dad used to drink pfeiffer

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Well, as you can guess, I'm not much of a drinker. I'll have a beer or two when out or at a party, but I think I can count on one hand the number of times that I've cracked open a beer at home with the wife.

I host poker parties a couple of times a year. I always buy more beer than my guests drink, so I'm left with extras. The last one was in January, and I had probably 30 beers left in the garage fridge. I am about to host another and was debating whether I should bring out that stuff again or buy all new beer.

I finally decided that it was better safe than sorry, so I dumped it all. Besides, some of the cans had commemorative Super Bowl logos, so that would be kind of a give-away that it was old :)

3. As a journalist if any of you - ANY OF YOU - have beer in your frig longer than two days turn in your card. Now.

When I got to a gas station, or store, I will dig - dig - through the cooler looking for the freshest date.
    I will not buy beer older than a month.. Rule of thumb. Will not.
    I also no longer buy beer that does not have a date on it. I stopped buying Molson after I got several bad batches - not throw up bad, but poor tasting.
    Beer if it is cold will keep, but you have no way of knowing if the truck brought it in cold, the store let it get warm and then cooled it again in the cooler until you cracked it open. You can taste it.

I still occasionally get piss-poor tasting beer, but it happens a lot less often.

4. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

True story: Freight train derailed in the middle of nowhere Ontario north of the Boundary Waters back in 1962. One car contained beer. On extended paddles, I would always detour to the site. As long as the can wasn't bulging I'd drink one. Never suffered. But like TBF, month or two without and anything tastes good. Luckily, I was never stuck on Deiga Garcia.

But this was back in the day when you needed a church key to open 'em up.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If you bought better beer, you wouldn't have that problem. ;)

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Who cares? Drink it.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Nice blanket statement. You can have my card ... the .00005 of one cent it might be worth.

We've had beer in the fridge for months because we had guests from another region who stayed for a week and didn't drink it all. I guess that makes me a terrible journalist and such.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

At least you know now.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Shit, I've never even let a beer have time to get warm, much less expire.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No wonder you're stretching that green suit.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That would 'splain some things

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

A quart of beer with a cartoon elephant on the label? And you're looking down on it?

The elitism on this board has gotten out of hand.

Draft saved Draft deleted