1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Experiences with "work-from-home" companies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stretch15, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

My mother-in-law has decided that she is tired of sitting around the house all day with nothing to do, and wants to get a part-time job that she can do from home.

I started doing some research on work-from-home companies (filling out surveys, stuffing envelopes, data entry, etc.) and was totally amazed at how many websites are out there preying on stay at home moms, retired folks, etc.

Does anybody here have any experiences (good, bad or otherwise) with any of these work-from-home companies? I've heard that the majority of these companies are scams, but that a few legitimate ones are out there.

Thanks for the help.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Most of them, in my somewhat limited experience, are scams or not worth the time and effort.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

Those things are scams.

However, in Thomas Friedman's book, The World Is Flat, he talks about how a woman working at a computer in her house does some reservations for Jet Blue. Maybe something like that would work. There are also books about at-home businesses, and it might be a question of matching her talents and interests to a job.

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

they're all scams. don't bother.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Go to the library and check out a few books on the subject, but in summary anything that wants you to fork over money up front is a scam.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

He also mentions in the book how those stay at home moms are all Mormons and the only way they learn about the job is through the church.

So, Stretch, have your mom become a Mormon and she might be let in on the secret of getting on of those jobs.

To the rest, they are all scams.

7. Just out of college and while unemployed in between freelance gigs, I sent a check to one of these outfits for an "information packet" detailing how I could stuff envelopes from home for cash. Unsurprisingly, what I got was instructions on how to place ads like the one which I answered in the first place.

Surprisingly, it came with a money-back guarantee. And the most surprising thing of all? I asked for my money back and got it. I still can't believe it.

And speaking of "working from home changed my life...", if I see one of those fucking commercials again with the fat woman and the fat slob with a goatee and the "college kid" who "never thought he'd make that much right out of school" - you know, the one where the web address is different during each one of its 5,736 daily showings on ESPN or one of the Fox Sports channels...

8. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

That's already taken care of Pastor - she's already Mormon! And none of her friends at church do this kind of stuff.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I didn't know any of these things were legitimate. I thought they were all scams.
    Maybe she could sell Amway.
    Or marry a soon to be jailed Nigerian political leader.

Draft saved Draft deleted