1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Experience with Coach Belichick

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I was wondering if any of you ever interviewed Coach Belichick before? If so, how was the experience? Was he pleasant? Was he a jackass?

If you have any stories, please share.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There's a woman in New Jersey who says he's a great fuck.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Gehrig, my experiences with Belichick were, in a word, businesslike. He loves talking football history and theory and fiercely resisted talking about himself, especially emotions, but that was OK, as I was not interested in his inner self. The more prepared you are, the better he will relate to you.

4. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1025537/3/index.htm

When people ask about stories about Bill Belichick that's the first that always comes to mind. Jim Brown doesn't kiss ass either. He calls them like he sees them. High praise indeed.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

He never publicized it, but I know he gave money to, of all things, an Indianapolis high school (Rosevelt Colvin's alma mater, Broad Ripple), sometime in the early-to-mid 2000s to get supplies/new uniforms or both. The coach of the team at that time told me about it when his son was going to play basketball at the school I cover.

Which is nice, but that's also kind of the Bob Knight defense when it comes to covering up one's odious side. It doesn't change the fact he has also been an epic cockbag, especially when he was in Cleveland.

I hope some Cleveland media types chime in. By the time he got to New England, I think he learned a lot about dealing with the media or had someone savvy helping him out, at least when it came to avoidance of tripping over his own dick, which he did on a seemingly daily basis in Cleveland.

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Call him Bill. He *loves* that.

rb

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Do you really have to call him coach? It's a bit silly to call someone that at any level when you're a sportswriter.

8. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Some coaches don't seem to mind. But please, please, please, don't call a baseball manager "skip". A TV news intern did that a couple of years ago during one of Mike Scioscia's postgame media clusters. Scioscia didn't bat and eye and answered the kid's question. Once the intern left Scioscia's office, we all had a good chuckle about it, including Scioscia.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I have never dealt with Belichick, but I have had extensive dealings with Nick Saban. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree by all indications.

Ask Saban about something he doesn't want to talk about and he can and will be a downright dick. But ask him a strategy question or to relate a story about someone he really admires, and he can be absolutely fascinating.

I watched the AFL history documentary "Full Color Football" that originally aired on Showtime and has re-aired on NFL Network, and the interview portions with Belichick are awesome. As Michael said, he really has a love for and an encyclopedic knowledge of the game's history.

He was asking the filmmakers things like "have you talked about (blank)?" or "you're going to mention (blank) aren't you?" He wasn't doing it in a condescending, "here's how you do your job better" sort of way, but as someone with a true passion for the subject matter.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Gehrig: Be sure to ask him about his pot-smoking kid or getting divorced.

If he doesn't hop out of the chair and beat you with your recorder, you'll wish he would have.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've only dealt with Belichick in media day or press conference/conference call settings. I seem to remember him skipping the breakfast with the coaches/media at the owner's meetings more than once during the five years I went. I don't ever remember him talking at the combine.

I was on one conference call where, before it started, the writers/broadcasters all kind of agreed not to ask about injuries until the end of the call.

Second question in, this TV puke asks, "Coach Belichick, what is the status of X player? and the whole rest of the call was one or two-word answers. We tore the guy a new asshole after the call because there was almost no reason to ask the question at all, but to do it on the second question when it was nothing more than a sentence in any notebook or on any broadcast was just stupid and even moreso when guys who have been covering the league for 40 years are standing there acknowledging that in order to get the most out of him, you have to tread carefully.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As is the case with many coaches, the more reporters dealing with Belichick at one time, the less responsive he is to any of them.
    BTW, Saban was the only coach I ever dealt with who seemed to have the red ass immediately after his team WON a game, an upset yet. That was back at Michigan State.

Draft saved Draft deleted