1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Experience vs. youth: An academic opinion

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by da man, Jun 26, 2006.

1. slipshod

slipshod Member

Young and passionate is impressive, I believe I used to be that way. But there is something to be said for working smart, having perspective, a sense of integrity and the ability to be a quick read. I also don't believe I developed as a writer until I was well until my 30s, maybe much later. (Many would say I never did and am on the downward side of a mediocre career). Perhaps, but one of my biggest problems with younger writers is there inability to grasp a nuance. It's a craft, learned by doing.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Agreed, and why is it considered a given here that older writers can't be passionate and driven? I know I want to get to a story more now than I ever have, and I'm not getting any younger.

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

True, but as long as we're on that analogy, let's note that a number of those HS players never reach that ``upside'' potential. And wasn't one of the reasons for the NBA's age limit concern the trend toward right out of HS players was driving down the quality of play in the league, presumably because so many of them weren't NBA ready?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

80% of professional print journalists over the age of 35 will be out of the industry, for good, within 10 years.

It is what it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted