1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Experience vs. youth: An academic opinion

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by da man, Jun 26, 2006.

1. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I would say the least useful assets that you find in a newsroom are often well-experienced but tired, uninspired and untalented. The next least useful are young know-it-alls, relentless, ill-informed and sure of talent that, at best, they don't possess yet. The best people in the newsroom are those who you can't file in either category. Can some young hotshot do better work than Sy Hersch or Ron Suskind? Nope. Did a lot of old hands close their notebooks with TO when Graham Bensinger persisted? Yup.

Young and talented beats old and talented--it shouldn't in the eyes of an employer, just in the eyes of the principals (hope I dies before I get old vs oh, to do it all over again).

YHS, etc

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Indeed, because none of the principals we cover in this business is over 30.
    Like Bill Cowher, Mike Krzyzewski, Bruce Arena, David Stern, Ozzie Guillen.
    All teenagers.

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Back,

A more thorough reading of my post and my meaning was clear.

The principals = the reporters, journos, writers whatever.

To wit, as someone old, I wish I were young. And if I were young I'd think, uh, what a drag it must be getting old.

Thanks for the un-needed upbraiding nonetheless.

YHS, etc

4. generalleespeaking

generalleespeaking New Member

True story ...

Mid-'80s, I applied for a beat job at a major metro in Florida and was told by the SE that they were looking for someone with more experience.

Five years later, another beat job opened up at the same paper. So I called the SE -- the same SE who wanted more experience five years earlier -- and was told: "We prefer to hire young, develop our own talent and promote from within."

You gotta love this business.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

You have to keep in mind that we all started out as young, inexperienced journalists once.

That being said, I really can't stand the trend of young journalists now. At my old paper, the only people the idiot ME would hire is young, attractive females. Problem was, they made mistakes and were submissive. The were completely fine with being treated like shit beyond learing pains. And, the ME only hired men for the editorial positions.

This has always been a problem with small papers. I really miss the people who just wanted to stay put. I mean, I can't fault people for wanting to move on to bigger and better things. But the thing I miss most about my old editor is that he had no probem wanting to star in one spot and he really cared about the section. People today? Not so much.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's a shrinking industry.

There aren't enough jobs for the people who are already in it.

To the corporate-drone beancounters, younger=cheaper, so do the math.

We can wring our hands and bitch, but it is what it is.

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Sounds like he didn't think you're good enough to work for the Plain Dealer.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

I'm sorry, did you say something? All I saw in there was ``submissive, young, attractive females.'' I must have missed the rest. ;) ;D

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I started out with too much youth and not enough experience. As I got older and more experienced, the pendulum shifted in the opposite direction to match my every movement. Now I'm experienced and, at 32, over the hill. Born in the wrong fucking time I was, either 50 years too late or 10 years too early.

10. JME

JME Member

Please lord, tell me 32 isn't over the hill...

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Well, for me it is, because I can't see myself living past 40 or 45.

12. joe

joe Active Member

And that's why high school players get drafted by NBA teams.

Draft saved Draft deleted