1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exotic animals on the loose in Ohio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Oct 18, 2011.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Siegfried is upping Roy's meds.

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I read somewhere earlier today that the reason officials didn't tranq them all is because they were afraid they'd tranquilize the animal, it would wander off under cover of darkness before it passed out, then wake up later and resume terrorizing the area before they found it.

Seems iffy to me, but whatever, I wasn't there. I know it was dark, so if the animal wandered off after being tranquilized it could be hard to follow, but do the local police not have any kind of night-vision?

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I hate that they had to kill the animals as well but there's a bit more to it than just saying "they should have tranq'd them."

Not only do they have to tranq them but they then have to load them into a vehicle of some kind and transport them somewhere. This isn't The Hangover. They can't just load them in the back of squad car then lock them in somebody's bathroom until they figure out what to do with them.

They had to have a transportation plan and a zoo/shelter or multiple zoos/shelters that could take all the animals on short notice.

The easy way to prevent this is not to let the guy have that many animals on his property to begin with.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Fair enough on your last sentence, and undoubtedly the licensing rules will change in just about all 50 states. But isn't that just more government intrusion on people's rights?

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's probably why earlier this year our governor (rated as the worst in the country) struck down a provision which did just that -- banned exotic animal ownership.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's a tough question. What about the individual rights of neighbors who don't want to be eaten by a tiger?

I don't like the idea of an outright ban. As I mentioned, I think limiting the number of animals and requiring fairly stringent safety rules are necessary.

Of course, if the guy is nuts and wants to free the animals before he offs himself none of that is going to do any good.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

If states paid as much attention to lion and tiger ownership regulations as they did family planning regulations we'd have a better country.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The remaining animals found refuge in an undisturbed plot of land -- the Browns' end zone.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What pisses me off are all of these illegal animals not paying taxes and draining the health care system.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Plus they probably didn't have enough tranq guns in the whole state for that scenario.

11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I saw this thread title and wondered who in Ohio was hosting an unannounced SportsJournalists.com gathering.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If I don't get to have my own whore house, crack house or meth lab, this guy doesn't get to own his own zoo. Period.

Draft saved Draft deleted