1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exonerated at last, 47 years later?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

He was only 14 years old when he was convicted of the capital murder of a 12-year-old schoolmate and sentenced to hang.

Forty-seven years later, Steven Truscott may finally get the exoneration he has waited so patiently for.

Many Canadians believe he was wrongfully convicted in the death of friend Lynne Harper, yet Truscott spent 10 years in prison after his death sentence was commuted. He's been living under a shadow ever since but the case has been referred back to a provincial appeal court which begins hearing testimony today.

This story has gripped people in this country since Day 1. Earlier this year investigators even exhumed Lynne Harper's body, hoping there might be DNA evidence which could settle the issue once and for. Sadly, there was none.

In spite of that, here's hoping Steven Truscott finally gets the peace of mind he and his family have been waiting for since he was arrested and railroaded all those years ago.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...ageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home

EDIT: Thread title and contents changed to reflect my faulty arithmetic -- it's been 47 years, not 46. :-\

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And had the internet been around 46 years ago, I'm sure some knuckledragger would have chimed in with ". . . just another reason why the death penalty is a good idea. If this had been my daughter I would have killed the monster before he ever made it to trial. Burp!"

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Old enough to have been around when this happened.

I can remember the absolute division --even between my parents--about his sentence. Hang a 14 year old?

By all accounts the policework was shoddy beyond belief and the trial was a farce.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This is another reason we hate Canadians.

We would never do that to a white kid in the good ol' US of A.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Oh, and I know there's a lot of CBC bashers but  Julian Sher's book and "Fifth Estate" documentary were both driving forces in re-opening this case back in '01.

6. Mmmm_Donuts

Mmmm_Donuts Member

What happens when someone has been wrongly imprisoned for 47 years? Do they get some kind of settlement from the state? Does everyone who is exonerated after decades in prison become an instant millionaire?

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

He wasn't jailed for 47 years. He was paroled after about 10 years of his life sentence. He just wants to be exonerated for the crime.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

He should still be able to get a fairly large settlement out of the government. it's one thing to be parolled, another thing to have a misguided cloud of guilt hanging over yourhead foranother 37 years after being parolled.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

From the story, it appears there really isn't any hard evidence exonerating him of the crime -- just no good evidence to convict him.

Draft saved Draft deleted