1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exit strategy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tom Petty, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

Mrs. Editude left traditional journalism a few years ago, making a leap into the unknown. She took a couple of free-lance gigs after an online start-up crashed, and now she's trying another online newby. It helps to have contacts, but life is too short to trudge to work, anticipating the floor to swallow you.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Hear, hear. It's time to take my chances on me rather than keep leaning on those who chronically (and often from appearances, eagerly) fail me and the folks I admire in this business.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Get the paper that just laid me off to pay to send me to school to retrain??

I suggested that to my editor, but I think he was laughing so loud he didn't hear me. :(

4. silentbob

silentbob Member

We're going thru this now.
    I just figured up how long we can get by one job, dipping into savings to get the mortgage and everything else paid.
    My wife nearly cried.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and life's realities do tend to get in the way, bob. i'm in no position to roll the dice by taking on something risky. i just bought a house and some land in an area where i know i'll be happy for a long time.

at this point, i'm considering something drastic, but safe.

6. gretchd

gretchd Member

I really like the idea of becoming a welder. Can't be worse than this, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted