1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exit, Stage Deli

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm sure native NYers might have more 'inside' preferences, but I like to go to the Carnegie when I'm in the city.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I heard the sandwich was fit for a king. Here King!

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It's fashionable to disparage the Carnegie as a tourist spot, but I prefer their corned beef. Katz's for pastrami, Carnegie for corned beef. People used to tout me endlessly on 2nd Avenue Deli, and it profoundly disappointed me.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I grew up around plenty of Jewish delis. I would get the hot corned beef sandwich then a pound of cold pastrami for later. I know, I know, cold pastrami is treasonous. But it's pretty damn good, too.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The Katz's hot dogs are the best.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Katz's is down in the Village?
    I've never been there.
    I don't want my pastrami or corned beef cut thick. I want it sliced thin.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Lower East Side ... Houston and Ludlow. Home of immigrants piled on top of each other at the turn of the century when the original restaurant opened.

It was the home the "I'll have what she's having" fake orgasm scene in When Harry Met Sally. I haven't gone in there in years and I wouldn't eat anything from there, but the reputation is way overpriced and dirty.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I prefer my pastrami thinly sliced and stacked with immigrants.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I couldn't remember where it was.
    I'd try it, but when I get to NYC every few years, I'm not normally in the Lower East Side.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Have any of you ever been to Rein's? It's a deli in (of all places) Vernon, Connecticut off of I-84. Excellent corned beef, just OK pastrami, but it stands out due to its weird location.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Don't even get me started on Olive Garden. :)

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh, you and Huggy had the Never-Ending Pasta Bowl together there. Don't fib.

Draft saved Draft deleted