1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exit, Stage Deli

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've tried tongue a few times from different places with differing results:
    Lengua from the taco truck = pretty good
    Tongue at a Basque restaurant = didn't care for it much
    Tongue from Jewish deli = didn't like it, but I was about 10 at the time. I'd like to try it again as an adult.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Encouraging message from Sarge's:

<i>To all our loyal customers. We will rebuild. We will be back. We look forward to the next 50 years.</i>

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I will see your tongue, and raise you tripe.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Don't like tongue that much. I actually think that corned beef is just ok, especially compared to pastrami and roast beef.

My aunt brought chopped liver and noodle pudding from Kings Highway over on Thanksgiving. They were so great, but I overloaded before dinner and barely had turkey.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Snagglepuss respect for the thread title.

Also: Send a salami to your boy in the army. www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWhhoySpevw

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Yes, yes.

(I was an adult before I realized Murgatroyd is a last name. Still don't think of it that way.)

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I'm with you on the pastrami. Corned beef is fine, but it's an afterthought. It's the burger to the T-Bone. It's basically what's left over when the pastrami maker runs out of room in the smoker.

8. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I love tongue, specifically tongue tacos. That said, I also love corned beef, so feel free to question my judgement. :D

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Getting back to the Cel-Ray soda. Anyone who watches Boardwalk Empire notice that Meyer Lansky and Lucky Luciano were drinking it during a scene in the next to last episode?

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

i appreciate the love, ragu. what can i say? any jew from brooklyn lists kosher deli on their 'cuisine' list. but, hey, i'd also put 'egg cream' on my all-time best beverages list... that, a 'lime rickey' and a 'rock 'n root'. huge extra credit to those who remember or even ever heard of the latter....

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've tried tripe quite a few times. I don't like it.
    I like menudo. The broth is delicious. I just don't eat the tripe that's in it.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Long ago on a feature assignment, I rode along in a limo with Henny Youngman from his apartment in NYC to a comedy club in Westport, CT, and he insisted on stopping at Carnegie Deli for a tongue sandwich. It was a Friday afternoon in the summer, so naturally we proceeded to get stuck in horrendous traffic. Henny didn't stop complaining the entire two-hour ride.

Draft saved Draft deleted