1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exit, Stage Deli

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

As of midnight on Thursday, the Stage is out of business:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/stage-deli-serves-overstuffed-sandwich-article-1.1211372?localLinksEnabled=false

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I worked a couple of blocks away for a decade. It was nothing special -- they just double stuffed a sandwich and charged three times as much. My local deli on Avenue J in Brooklyn ran circles around the place.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Never actually stepped foot in the place, but places like that have become so anachronistic. I am not sure if that is a good or bad thing. People don't go out for long sitdown pastrami sandwich lunches anymore. They hit subway or shake shack or whatever. And the tourists that might have hit that place after a broadway show on the way back to the hotel now go into theme restaurants. I am not sure how good business was, but one thing that is hard to watch right now is how many established restaurants have gone out of business the last 2 or 3 years because they can't make the rents. That area is holding up relatively well, but the upper east side has turned into a ghost town. I don't know enough about the commercial real estate market to really understand it, but there is something that makes it preferable for landlords to keep storefronts empty rather than bring the rents down, because you can walk whole blocks along 1st Ave or 3rd Ave. and even Lex and there are all these empty storefronts that used to have restaurants and shops.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

amen, my brooklyn brother... ave. j, ave. m, pick a letter, brooklyn deli's rule!! mom and pop shockey are bringing out the annual chnukah platter in a couple of weeks -- roast beef, turkey, pastrami, corned beef, tongue, rye bread, sides of kasha varnishkas, cole slaw, potatoe salad, knishes, chopped liver, sour pickles... yum... we'll all need our arteries to be unclogged afterward but it's soooooo worth it.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Langer's laughs at your idea that people don't go out for pastrami sandwich lunches anymore.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Bad week for New York delis. Days before the Stage closing, there was a fire at Sarge's on Third Avenue in Murray Hill. Sarge's was close to the Grand Hyatt and open 24 hours, so I'm sure some sj'ers have been there over the years.

http://gothamist.com/2012/11/26/beloved_sarges_deli_ravaged_by_3_al.php

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Sarge's is a real deli. Mrs. W and I lived in Tudor City when we first moved in together and we'd take people to Sarge's for late night dining or an authentic deli breakfast.

And Shockey, there aren't many places left in the old hood which are what I call the secular Jewish deli. The type of place that has the deli counter in the front and the cheap dining room in the back. Where you get the sour tomato and pickle platter and the ice cream scoop of cole slaw with your meal. And the only soda was Dr. Brown's, including the dreaded Cel-Ray option.

8. The Big Ragu

There is nothing on earth that is meant to be a food product that is more disgusting than Cel-Ray soda.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I've eaten at Sarge's many many many times. I was never at the Stage.
    Ragu, it's funny you mention the empty storefronts on the Upper East Side. Here in ultra-suburban Lexington, Mass. it's the same thing on our four block long commercial area. Places stay vacant for months, then some doomed entrepreneur starts a frozen yogurt store or something, then it's empty again after six months. We've even had a liquor store go out of business! Only things that last are banks, real estate offices and coffee shop chains.
    I have never understood how this works for landlords, but apparently in high-end commercial space, it does.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

cel-ray! oh, yes, the mouth waters... where i grew up on ave. h, we actually had a 'real' deli, just as you describe, between coney island ave. and e. 10th street -- grossman's deli.... the grossmans lived in the apt. building across the street from mine. their son was/is, i presume), a year older than i am. was a pretty good baseball player, too. the deli closed permanently around '65, when i was 8 or so, after mr. g sustained a heart attack... became a chinese take-out place. not nearly the same...

re: sarge's, it was in the neighborhood of THE real daily news building *229 e. 42nd street, 'tween 2nd and 3rd).... during my copyboy days i'd often drive the night m.e. home to white plains between 2 and 3 a.m., and would frequently stop at sarge's on the way back to the news' garage to pick up 'lunch' for those of us on the lobster shift... nothing like pastrami sandwiches, knishes and latkes at 4 a.m. breakfast of champions. n.y., n.y., one helluva town!!

11. The Big Ragu

Our only speculation is that the commercial leases in Manhattan are for a few years, and landlords don't want to lock themselves in at reduced rents if there is a recovery. I just don't get it. We walked by this great location today -- I think it is 57th and Park Ave. It was a Barnes & Noble that went out of business two years ago, maybe more, and has stood vacant since. I just don't get it.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Shockey --

"Lobster shift" is a new term for me. What is it?

Draft saved Draft deleted