1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exercising at work

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Go to Big 5, Dick's or Sports Authority, they'll have several of them for about $10.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Gracias. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some fantastic variation better than the rest that I'd be missing out on if I bought the cheaper ones.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I have TERRIBLE balance and have always been afraid of those exercise balls. Would I just fall off one if I tried to sit on it?

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I go to occasional classes at the gym where we use those balls. Sitting is no problem because you can use your feet.

Push ups, crunches and lunges can be tricky, though.

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Is that kind of like being able to pick things up with your toes?

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Isn't the fact that the ball can slip or roll on you part of the point?
    You have to slow the exercise down, forcing you to concentrate more on proper form, and you use other muscles to stabilize yourself, increasing the effectiveness of the workout.
    I thought that was the point of using them.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I just always thought people liked really big balls.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'm just glad I don't get "bat wings."

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Have you ever seen the movie "Waiting" with Dane Cook? I can explain the term, but maybe someone else should.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Yes. You are exactly correct. The balls force you to work muscles in the core of your body to maintaine balance and form.

They are awesome. My wife said she wished she had one at our home desk and because of this thread, I think I will go buy one of the ball-chair things and hope the kids don't stab it to death.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Who's got the biggest, balls of them all!!?!?!

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

We have a gym downstairs that a tiny percentage (count me in; it's free) use. Getting up and taking three-minute walks helps as well, as long as you don'r cruise by the vending machines.

Draft saved Draft deleted