1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Executive Sports Editor, Santa Rosa Press Democrat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by james.barger, May 16, 2008.

1. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

from the 2-under-par pipeline:

SPORTS SHIFTS IN SANTA ROSA

In a restructuring of the sports department in Santa Rosa, JARED COWLEY has been promoted from sports designer to assistant sports editor. His primary responsibility will be the online sports sites of The Press Democrat but he will retain his key role in the presentation of the Sports section in print.
    COWLEY joined the paper in November 2006 from the Daily Herald in Provo, Utah, where he was assistant sports editor with duties that included being content administrator of the newspaper's www.cougarblue.com sports site, overseeing the sports design team and managing four staff writers and stringers.
    BILL PINELLA, who has been assistant sports editor at Santa Rosa for 14 years, will focus on coverage, planning and production of the daily Sports section and working with Cowley in planning online content. Pinella will also continue his ever-popular soccer blog.
    The restructuring of the department follows the departure of JIM BARGER, who resigned as sports editor in Santa Rosa to become senior manager of integrity in the statistics and analysis division of ESPN. The sports editor job is not being filled at this time.

Not surprising.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

not surprising at all. more with less.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i fucking hate that line.

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

imagine how they feel in Santa Roas.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

touche.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This actually used to be a pretty good section.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Lamest 18,000th post ever. :D

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

What happened to it?

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm guessing the same thing that's happened to the rest of our sections.

10. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I'm wondering if anybody can shed light on how this crazy arrangement is working out. Just found out I have (in-law) family there (uncle in-law is down to visit) and it made me curious on how it's going.

I'm not expecting the answer to be "Quite swimmingly."

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

The ASE is still serving as the SE, without the job or title. All I can tell you is that the chances of them re-opening this position seem virtually nil for the forseable future, since the paper continues to lay off extremely talented, hard-working, three-time APSE winners (cough cough). They are giving relatively nice buyout packages, though. :)

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Is that an answer or a resume???

;)

Draft saved Draft deleted