1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Executive SE, Los Angeles Newspaper Group

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Gene Warnick, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Gene Warnick

Gene Warnick New Member

Sports Editor in Southern California

The Los Angeles Newspaper Group (circulation 560,000) seeks an executive sports editor to oversee and coordinate coverage for our nine newspapers and online products in the greater Los Angeles area, including the Daily News of Los Angeles, Long Beach Press Telegram, Torrance Daily Breeze, Pasadena Star News, San Gabriel Valley Tribune, Whittier Daily News, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, San Bernardino Sun and Redlands Daily Facts.

This is a job for an experienced sports editor who knows how to manage a large staff and operate in a competitive market with multiple pro, college and prep teams. The ideal candidate must also have extensive experience with budgets, including freelance and travel.

Please e-mail a cover letter detailing how you would take our print and online products to the next level while still keeping each paper's distinct local flavor. In addition, send a resume and any other relevant material to Melissa Lalum, Daily News managing editor, melissa.lalum@dailynews.com.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'd say this qualifies as a big boy job.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'd say this qualifies as a job for someone with their own helicopter. These papers are hundreds of miles apart. When I see an ad that cites familiarity with "budgets, especially freelance and travel," I think the erstwhile employer is looking for a new hatchet man.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

"Hundreds" of miles, MG? Try 88.

Redlands is the easternmost of these papers. Woodland Hills is the westernmost. They're 88 miles apart, and San Bernardino, Ontario, San Gabriel, Whittier and Pasadena are all within those 88 miles.

Woodland Hills is 34 miles north of Torrance and 41 miles north of Long Beach.

Let's keep the geography straight, please.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Previously, the person in this job doubled as the sports editor of the Daily News. Is that the case or is this just overseeing everything for the LANG papers?

7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Given traffic in the LA area, Mr. Gee just might be right about the helicopter. Dean Singleton wouldn't pay for it (shock!) but if you wanted to travel the 41 miles from Long Beach to Woodland Hills any time between 2-8 pm you'd best leave yourself two hours.

And then hope for the best.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Communication with all of the papers is so very important to whoever takes this big boy job. I do wonder if some of these papers will be folded into another (Torrance/LB and Redlands/SB).

There's one beat writer for each of the major ones, but they are spread out among all of the papers.

About the only way to keep the "local flavor" is to keep the columnists focused on their respective areas and keep churning out the high school coverage.

9. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Nice job, but don't expect it to pay what it should pay. It is Lean Dean after all, and the flagship hasn't had a sports editor for 5-6 months.

10. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

There's no need to travel between any of the sister papers. Everything runs from the Woodland Hills (Daily News) office. All the coordination is done via inter-office messaging/e-mail/phone calls and semi-regular meetings with the other sports editors.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I think I know one or two people just itching to get this job.

And, for the sake of a bunch of buddies, I hope one of them gets it.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

While Michael Gee may be a little overextended on his geography, I think his take his right on the mark.

Since Singleton - and Los Angeles Newspaper Group is a corporate euphamism when we are talking about this - took over the newspapers there has been less and less distinct local flavor. You can read a Sunday sports section of the Inland Empire papers and see no more than two or three local bylines. In a Sunday paper. This isn't only a hatchet man, the person filling this position is going to have to dig the graves. Not a "big boy" job, but Mission Impossible.

Draft saved Draft deleted