1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Excercise equipment question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BadgerBeer, Oct 29, 2006.

1. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Active Member

My wife wants to buy a treadmill for our home. She will use it for walking but I will use it from time to time as well and I like to run. My question is, what should we know about treadmills before we buy? What price range will insure a quality piece of equipment. What brands are well thought of. Can a off name brand be solid? Any help would be appreciated.
  2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Make sure you get one with handles high enough to hang clothes or plants on.
  3. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Active Member

Very good. I will show my wife this response. Maybe it will save me some money.
  4. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

I'd def. make sure you don't want to do the gym thing. The difference between a $500 treadmill and a $5,000 treadmill is significant to your hips, shins, back and overall happiness. My gym just bought five high-dollar Cybex 'mills and they are loverly. Why not go that route?

I guess it all depends on why you wouldn't go to a gym.
  5. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Home treadmills vary alot in quality and the amount of money you spend depends upon what you want it to do. Walking 'mills can easily be had for under $1000, but if you're going to run (and I mean sub7 miles) then you need a good motor that won't cause the belt to shudder and solid cushioning. add opportunity for elevation and you probably need $2000+ for long lasting performance.

Also, depending on your height and stride length, the bed length and width may be an issue. Go to a store and try a few different models out. Check out consumerreports.org and runnersworld.com for their recommendations. Finally look for sales on last years models. Technology doesn't change that much.
  6. Editude

Editude Active Member

I echo the need to buy gym-level equipment or risk having it become a hat rack for spider webs. It must be worth using, and keep using, or else you can spend the $50 a month at the health club. We reviewed a treadmill from Woodway recently that goes for 10k but would offer a lot more than a $600 model from Sears.
  7. pallister

pallister Guest

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here is link to Runners World story on treadmills:

$2000 is the Mendoza line for quality.

As prices climb from $2000 what you are paying more for is bigger deck and more computer programing. The base models have about 7-10 programs that you can use and allow to run up to about 9mph.

True is a good brand to look at. Be sure to go to store and test them out. Don't waste your money on a Walmart special .
  9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

as boom says, go test it. i've read in countless articles (in men's health type magazines) that you should go to the store in your workout gear and actually do a workout like you'd do when you own it. i have never seen anyone doing this and who knows if the store would let you, but it makes sense to me.
  10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Save yourself some cash and space.

Hit the pavement -- or your local track.
  11. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Put your money into a gym membership for you and the wife -- and motivate each other to go. Otherwise, you won't put enough money into the home version and eventually, they all do become clothes holders! :)
  12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

This is the one I ride at the gym:

I had no idea it was $5,800.

Draft saved Draft deleted