1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Excellent Stingley Father's Day Piece

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BobSinclair, Jun 18, 2007.

1. BobSinclair

BobSinclair New Member

I ran across this today when I was doing a search for Father's Day pieces. It's a long feature/narrative about the recently passed Darryl Stingley and his son, Derek -- and their relationship between his injury and his death in April.

Some pretty good stuff in there. But I was most interested because I had never really read much comment from anyone in the Stingley family after his passing.

Anyway, the website for this paper is ULTRA sh#*ty. But if you can get past that, it's definitely worth the read.

http://www.albanyherald.com/archives/Sports/2007/sports061707b.html

2. caesarsghost

caesarsghost Member

Thanks for checking in, Colin. Good piece. But never been a fan of present-tense narratives.

3. ChmDogg

ChmDogg Member

Actually, I wrote the piece.

Some people liked the format and some didn't. I think it'll always be that way. I took some chances when I wrote this story and tried some stuff I hadn't before. I'm glad I did though.

The biggest shame is that our website is such a pile of sh*t. It makes the story a bit harder to read online. On the print version, there were actually lines separating the end of each flashback and the next present time scene.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Now, don't you feel stupid? :)

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Thanks for checking in, Colin. ;)

6. caesarsghost

caesarsghost Member

Thanks for checking in to see who's checking in, Colin.

7. ChmDogg

ChmDogg Member

Anytime, Cease. Anytime.

8. caesarsghost

caesarsghost Member

I have a feeling you're checking back to read this thread all the time. All the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted