1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Excellent Scott Boras piece

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I'm sure that is the part that did it for you since it was the only part that mentioned Money Ball. While you may want to focus on the aspect of Michael Lewis and his book getting mentioned, you left out why it was mentioned.

It isn't stated that Beane invented statistics driven analysis. It states that "...a phenomenon described most vividly in..." the book is mentioned because it describes, not invents, this method.

Would you rather it be written:
    ...a phenomenon described most vividly by Michael Lewis in Moneyball, his best-selling study of Billy Beane and the Oakland Athletics but actually was created by Sandy Alderson.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

That was worth reeading to the end of, and I rarely feel that way any more.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am not going to suggest how it should have been written but I do think that greater accuracy could have been brought to this part.

I loved Money Ball but I also think it was flawed for the same reasons.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I didn't have a problem with the reference. It's what the piece called for. You can't give the full history of every tangent. Had the main focus been on statistics, then it might have begged for more background.

Most people have heard of "Moneyball," which indeed did capture the phenomenon most vividly.

5. Boom_70

Fair enough but I still think greater clarity could have been brought to piece with just a few more words.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

What was unclear?

7. Boom_70

At the risk of sounding dogmatic I think what is unclear is when the trend came about and who pioneered the idea that stats really were an end in themselves.

Otherwise great article.

Draft saved Draft deleted