1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Excellent read by S.L. Price

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

I know we all have recently at one time or another predicted the demise of Sports Illustrated and cited as a primary reason its departure from the quality, long form journalism that helped the magazine become the benchmark for our field. But if this outstanding piece by S.L. Price in the upcoming issue is any indication, perhaps the powers that be at SI are starting to get in touch with their roots again:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1181210/1/index.htm

AK

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Fantastic story.Thanks for posting. Love those Western PA football stories.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

Looking forward to reading it. hopefully it's in my mailbox today. :D

(i refuse to read current new s.i. pieces on-line. much prefer the old-fashioned, hard copy way)

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I used to think that SI should position itself as The New Yorker of sports journalism. But I don't think the market for that is big enough now, with the direction that the Internet has taken attention spans and that fantasy sports and wall-to-wall television coverage and less-thank-wall-to-wall newspaper coverage has taken sports fandom. I've tried to pitch off-the-beaten-path sports stories to SI a couple times. The answer is always the same: We just don't have the space to devote to that kind of story.

I also want to read the Price story in hard copy, though. It's hard for me to read longer pieces online.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You know what gets me, though, is the fact that an article like this rarely even merits mention on the cover these days. It would have so nicely worked with the cover story on the Steelers -- Aliquippa is probably 30 miles away from Pittsburgh.

Instead, we get "JIMMER-MANIA" and three refers to other Super Bowl stories. Frankly, knowing there's a Scott Price or Gary Smith story in Sports Illustrated makes me far more anxious to get to reading it.

Then again, I'm a subscriber. I'm sure "S.L. Price" or "L. Jon Wertheim" or "Alexander Wolff" or "Gary Smith" means little to most non-subscribers who are judging the magazine by its cover, literally.

6. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Speaking of Smith, he hasn't written a piece for the magazine in a while.

7. ballwriter

ballwriter New Member

He was spot on in capturing the town, the situation and what the football program means to the community. It was as if he lived in Aliquippa his entire life.

8. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Versatile,

Very good point. I didn't really look that closely at the PDF of the cover. Man, that's a shame. It boggles my mind that this story wouldn't be promoted on the cover, precisely for the reason you cited about how close Aliquippa is to the city of Pittsburgh. But in the interest of full disclosure, the fact that my laptop has become such an extension of myself that I chose to read it online and no longer subscribe to the magazine probably doesn't help my own case.

Not sure what the best answer here is, but the story did grab my attention.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It was around the time of the Coolbaugh article that really noticed Price. He's always been a good, versatile writer (tennis, Olympics, etc.) But there was a stretch of about a month that I wanted to know who wrote a particular story. In each case it was Price, but I never would have guessed it because they were all so different. A Gary Smith story reads like a Gary Smith story, not a knock, but you know it when you're reading something by him. Price has a way of sucking you into a story that you don't even notice his hand guiding you along.
    And I've mentioned it before, but he is exhibit A in why great reporting is essential to being a great writer.

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

me too... :) I'll wait for Thursday, but looking forward to it

11. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

I let my S.I. subscription run out last month (And oddly enough I kept getting it for another 4 weeks). Last week was the first week it didn't come. I will miss it for these kinds of stories. I just couldn't justify paying for it anymore being on a copy editor's wage and all.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Don't they have a professional rate?

Draft saved Draft deleted