1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Excellent note from a reader

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Feb 21, 2007.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

So Joe Reader (no name, just a return address) cuts out one of my stories from Sunday in which I've used "there" instead of "their" in a quote. Yeah, dumb error, but honestly, I'm not going to kill myself over it. Just try to make sure I don't do it again.
    Joe Reader has highlighted the error, and with a red pen on the top of the page writes:
    "JR. HIGH SCHOOL MISTEAK."

Yes, the return address on this one will be utilized.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Do not stoop to his level. You are better than that. Throw it away and move on.

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Um, maybe he was kidding.

4. I got a similar piece of mail from a reader last year. It was a postcard written to complain about my choice of words in a game story:

"Why does that god damned rotten bastard Fletch_F._Fletch say 'drained' when writing about basketball? Cant you find some INTELLIGENT person who kmows how to write?"

As if the typos weren't entertaining enough, the front of the card had a picture depicting the three wise men offering their gifts to Christ with the words, "peace, joy, love" underneath.

I'll give the guy this, though: He put his name and address on the card.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

Dammit Dad, you never let me have any fun.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

My confederate billage is with Uncle Jeff.

7. Moderator1

You have lots of fun. Just pick your spots.
    This ain't one of them.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

You and your "life lessons."

9. Moderator1

Hey, it's my job.

10. Taylee

Taylee Member

I never respond to hate mail. Just see if there is a valid point, make note of it and toss the note in the trash.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Gregg Doyel likes the way you think.

12. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

That letter needs to find the circular file.... just learn your lesson and proof-read better.
    No good can come from Doyel-style justice.

Draft saved Draft deleted