1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Excellent Larry Stone story on the 1969 Seattle Pilots

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Don't miss it, Ball Four fans:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2003114503_pilots09.html

And follow the links on the story for a "where are they now" sidebar and audio of the Pilots fight song.

(For best effect, pound some Budweiser while you read).

2. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I was 14, 15 when this book came out.

Joe Schultz was definitely one of the funniest charcters Bouton brought to life.

There was one passage about Schultz "wandering about, using the words 'fuck' and 'shit' in all their possible combinations," something to that affect.

Good stuff.

Pound the Budweiser, Joe.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Great story.

I was just discussing Ball Four on Saturday with a few of the people I cover, asking if players today even know about "Ball Four". One left-handed pitcher never heard of it but said he'd look for it. Of course, he wasn't even born until 12 years after it came out. The hitting coach wants to borrow the followup "I'm Glad You Didn't Take it Personally" from me and if I get to cover them again this month and remember to take it with me, I'd be glad to lend it to him.

Yes, it's now 37 years old, but Ball Four should be required reading for anyone who is or aspires to be involved in baseball.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Ball Four was an eye-opener to me when I read it ... in the early 90s. Fantastic book.

The only other sports book I put in its stratosphere is Veeck As In Wreck, which might actually be better.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I love "Wreck", but ...

Veeck as in Wreck : 1998-2006 NL all-star teams :: Ball Four : 1998-2006 AL all-star teams.

Really not in the same league, IMO. Plus, I'm fairly certain that most of Bouton's stories weren't embellished nearly as much as some of those in "Wreck." I like real-life accuracy more than Veeckian "truth."

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Great article. IMHO, they should have had the Pilots reunion and throwback day during an interleague game between the Mariners and the Brewers. The Mariners would wear the Pilots home jersey and the Brewers would wear the away colours.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Missed this the first time -- didn't click the "where are they now" link right away....

The italics are the Times' emphasis, just to clarify.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No outing! :mad:

Um, need a new floor?

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I didn't know Gene Brabender had died! Ah, shitfuck!

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Smash, thank you very much for apprising us of this. Great read. The "where are they now" box is a throwback to the days when a few years in the bigs didn't come close to having you set for life. And it's fascinating how the MLB looked as impotent as the ABA in the founding and running of the Pilots.

11. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

If you're ever attending a Southern League game and league president Don Mincher shows up in the press box, casually mention the words "Ball Four" and/or "Jim Bouton."

Then stand back and wait for his reaction. Good times.

Draft saved Draft deleted