1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Excellent job, cigarette makers!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 14, 2008.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Tell you what. Spend a little time in Europe -- or a European airport, specifically -- and then tell us how stupid Americans are.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Obviously, you've never been to France. Or Italy. Or ... name your country. Smoking's much worse overseas than it is here, and they know all the same stuff we do.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Not to threadjack, but how exactly did cigars become associated with the good life?

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Simple. They were a luxury item that, at one time, most people couldn't afford regularly.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not to mention Southeast Asia. Went to Thailand once. Never saw so many women smoking cigars.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Here's another example, from the fine folks at Hardees:

[​IMG]

8. I can find a website with Credentialed Authorities who will tell you that the dangers of smoking is overrated, and that it's really a matter of choice, and the marketplace will sort out all those dying people who are lucky enough to live in the country with The Bestest Health Care System In The World.
    Give me a second.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I can't lie. That looks tasty. I think I could spend my capital rationally on one of those.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The blob of mayo is a good touch. Not one redeeming condiment or vegetable on that baby.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Vegetables don't create wealth, Ace. They aren't inherently good.

So quit with your vague value judgments.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Google "Richard Vedder" and you'll have your very own authority.

Draft saved Draft deleted