1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Excellent college football playoff column

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by IGotQuestions, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

What a disaster

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

NCAA Division I-a football playoffs = NCAA Division I basketball playoffs
    Bowl games = NIT and that other stupid freakin' tourney starting up

There. The only bowl games that take it in the kisser are the big ones, although that's what's making all this a non-starter.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

4. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Hilarious. Love Dog the Bounty Hunter reference.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There is no denying that the current system is pure evil genius. The powers that be sit back and count the money, and at the end of the day all the kvetching from the rest of the world is just more publicity. Seriously, how many college football fans do you know that have walked away from the game, fed up with the system? They always come back. And this system may actually be better for them in a pure evil genius way. In a 16-team playoff, you'll have 15 definitive losers. The end. Instead today, you'll have a team like USC playing great football late in the season, maybe winning the second-best bowl game and giving its fans a bar argument for eternity about whether it was the real No. 1. Isn't that more fun? Maybe it is. Not saying that's my personal opinion, but that's what exists now, and no one's going broke in this format.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

It's nothing short of lunacy to think you would assemble a playoff system and from this season's candidates include Central Michigan and Troy.

Gee, why not Syracuse, too?

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Would you like to do away with conference winners like VCU and Winthrop come March Madness, too?

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I walk away from college football every year 'round about this time. It's not bowl season, it's bullshit season.

I could care less about all of the bullshit bowls and I'm caring less and less about a regular season predicated on bullshit bowl eligibility that comes when a team wins six fucking games. It's an insult to any kind of qualitative standard. I'm more interested in bowl deservability, which in a 12-game season, should be nine wins.

That makes the regular season meaningful, not all of this idiotic claptrap about how the whole season is a playoff. Bullshit. Then a one-loss team that lost on Nov. 17 would be judged the same as a team that lost on Sept. 1. It's all bullshit.

And who the fuck cares whether there's 15 losers? Let there be 120 losers and one winner. I will find nothing compelling in Wisconsin winning the CitruOutbAlamiday Bowl or wherever the hell they're headed.

When there's a playoff, I'll be as into it as anyone.

The NCAA does not sanction any system in any sport that does not gives every conference an at-large bid. Reading comprehension, learn to love it.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I hear ya Bubbler. I really hate the semantics of this system as it pertains to "when" you lose. But you're a reasonable guy and a media member with the perspective to smell bullshit and walk away. The average college football fan isn't the same. He's going to keep renewing the tickets, donating and supporting the boys when they go 8-4 and play in the Circle Jerk Bowl, knowing that next year's recruiting class is supposed to kick ASS and that State U's got a good chance for a title run. When they go 11-1 and don't get a title shot he's going to be hopping mad, but he'll take it out on message boards and his local talk radio host, all while still writing those checks. And he'll still watch all the other bowls, supporting his conference.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I don't have nearly the problem with the Winthorps of the world getting into the tournament. If you excluded teams like that, you'd be unable to find 65 teams deserving of a bid. It's rare, but in the example of some of Pete Carrill's Princeton teams, they certainly deserved to be in.

If, at the end of the conference tournaments, you sat down and made a list and it was called, "College Basketball Teams That Have a Legitimate Claim to Compete for the Right to be Called the Best Team in the Country," you'd probably make a list of 20 or 25 teams and then you'd be stretching it. Same thing with football: There's never been a season, never will be, where 16 teams could make such a claim.

Right now you could ask 10,000 people to make a list of the 16 teams they'd want in a college football playoff and no one in their right mind would include Troy or Central Michigan.

Draft saved Draft deleted