1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

EXCELLENT Bob Ryan column on the harshness of pro FB

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Is Cheney that mobile?

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yeah . . . especially going to his right.

3. (Consults map to find way back to original point of thread. Surrenders.)
    Dickbag?

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I thought that was an excellent column. It's what I expect from Ryan.

I think he made his point incredibly well. But the hard stance Belichick & Co. took with Branch is nothing new. There was probably more outrage when they let Lawyer Milloy go, for example, than there is over Branch, even though they are weaker now at receiver than they were in the secondary then.

Thing is, management there has three super bowl rings. That should buy them an awful lot of benefit of the doubt. I know on the face of it, they look crazy to have let Vinatieri, Richard Seymour and now Branch get away this year, but they let guys go every year, and every year they are still competitive.

The Patriots take a long view of every move they make. Their choices were to overpay Branch or let him get away. They don't overpay players. Period. It's why they always have cap room, they have a stockpile of draft picks every year from trades and they have remained a playoff team. Branch is a fine receiver, but on many teams he is the number two guy. He may be the best the Pats had, but most people would agree he isn't worth the kind of money he wanted. A lot of teams will overpay a guy like that, because he means a lot to them relative to what they have behind him and because he has given a lot to the team in the past. The Pats won't. If you look at their offense, it isn't like they rely on a big-play receiver. Brady spreads the ball around to six or seven receivers every game. They can probably still do that pretty well without Branch.

Maybe Branch was really necessary to open-up the field for them. He was their only receiver who could create consistent seperation. But obviously Belichick thought he can game-plan pretty well with a very good offensive line, two very good running backs, a decent tight end and the quarterback who makes the best decisions in the league. My bet is he can. And they won't be paying a price for Branch that eats at their competitiveness for years to come.

The only caveat to my "his way has shown it works" argument is that if I was Brady, I'd be sore as hell right now. Brady left at least $50 million on the table to help them keep a winning group together. And the Pats have let a lot of those guys get away and are under the cap now. If I was Brady, I'd probably feel like I had been suckered. I get the sense that he does from some of the comments he's been making.

As far as the "football is a brutal sport" part of the column, well yeah. I thought Ryan did a good job with this. I wish more fans who watch it on TV like they are watching Hollywood special effects, actually thought about how brutal it is and what players go through.

5. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Strong column -- what I would expect from Ryan. I think he even-handedly hands out the criticism, instead of bleating from the rooftop taking one side. I know it's not fashionable nowadays to see more than one side of an issue these days.

I really don't know if there anybody better at writing good sports-bar conversation/argument columns.

Love his work. Because he doesn't fit into one category. He's not an above-the-fray wordsmith. He's not a ripper. He's not an apologist. He's doesn't pull cheap manipulative strings. He can do a little bit of everything. I'm always interested to see what he'll have to say, regardless of the topic.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

This column is a good example of why Boston is an impossible place to play. Red Sox out of the race? No problem. Let's take some shots at the Pats and Belichick. They've only won three Super Bowls since he got here -- that's -- lemme see --, one, two -- three! Three more than they won before!

I also get a malodorous whiff of Ryan carrying someone's agent's water in this column.

I have never seen more hand-wringing over a player who isn't even among the league elite at his position. Don't forget -- Larry Brown was a Super Bowl MVP, too.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

branch will be a great test case for the boston media types vs. belichick. he's an in his prime player either made by brady and the pats' system or a guy who will now put up huge numbers after being held back by the system.

my opinion: he got a tremendous deal and seattle will be proven to have overspent. branch is a very good player but not an elite one, a la laveranues coles. that kind of moolah for that kind of receiver is just crazy.

if he proves me wrong, i'll be the first to admit it. time, as always, will tell.

now, that vinatieri fella, that one the pats screwed up. he shoulda been a patriot 'til his leg fell off. :eek: :eek: :eek:

p.s. -- oh, yeah, that said, good column by ryan.

Draft saved Draft deleted