1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Excellence in Sports Journalism nominations sought

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EStreetJoe, May 29, 2008.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

From an e-mail:

Sport in Society at Northeastern University

Launches Search for Excellence in Sport Journalism Nominees

(5-29-08) BOSTON, Mass – Sport in Society is once again looking for nominations and entries for the annual Excellence in Sports Journalism Awards. The awards, co-sponsored by Sport in Society and the Northeastern University School of Journalism, recognize and honor journalists that look at the connection between sport and the societal issues of the world beyond the court and the field. Past winners have included ESPN, HBO, ABC's Nightline, Howard Cosell, Dick Schaap, Frank Deford and Gary Smith of Sports Illustrated, Robert Lipsyte of The New York Times, Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams of the San Francisco Chronicle, Jeff Millar and Bill Hinds creators of the Tank MacNamara comic strip, and Pete Thamel of The New York Times. Issues addressed by past winners include race, college recruiting wars, gender equality, steroids, and the economics of sport.

The award recognizes an individual piece of journalism, a series or a sustained examination of a single issue, or a lifetime body of work. Awards are given for print/online journalism and broadcast.

Nomination Deadline and Awards Ceremony
    Winners will be invited to a reception in Boston this January to receive their awards. Entries and nominations are due by August 1, 2008. Please see the attached nomination form.

How to Send Your Nominations
    Please use the link below to receive the Excellence in Sports Journalism Award Nomination Form.

ESJ Nomination Form- http://www.sportinsociety.org/gala08/ESJ08nomform.pdf

About Sport in Society
    Sport in Society at Northeastern University is one of the world’s leading social justice organizations that use sport to create social change both nationally and internationally. The flagship organization located in the heart of Boston, Mass. was founded in 1984 by Dr. Richard Lapchick. Through research, education, and advocacy the center promotes physical activity, health, violence prevention, and diversity among young people and college and professional athletes. Sport in Society’s innovative programs are all staffed by former college or professional athletes and have been awarded America’s most successful violence prevention program by Lou Harris, the Peter F. Drucker Award as the most innovative non-profit program in the social sector, and most recently was recognized by the Boston Red Sox for its dedication and service to the community.
  2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

Beware of any and all who refer to "sport" rather than "sports." It's a sure tipoff that we're getting tweedy and cultural and important.
  3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Or British.
  4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

tweedy... I like that
  5. I prefer farrar.
  6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i prefer ales.
  7. well played
  8. It's a momentous moment in the Pritchard house -- my first "well played." Thanks Friend!
  9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Also beware one who has to say Boston, Mass.

As if there were another FREAKING BOSTON that counts.

New Boston, Texas does not.
  10. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

Eh, who cares about awards anyway? They're total bullshit meant to fellate the chosen few.
  11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fallate is good with me.
  12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Am I missing something or does it not say the time frame during which the piece had to have run to be eligible? I would like to nominate something from last fall, but I don't know if it would be eligible.
Draft saved Draft deleted