1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Examples of good previews?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Golazo21, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Golazo21

Golazo21 Member

Hey guys, so I've been doing game previews for the local soccer team for the past five years, and recently, I've started thinking about tweaking the format. Right now, I do the snapshot of each team and keys to the game, and occasionally, I'll do preview with quotes (if I can get to practice that week). But I want to try something different. You guys know this business way better than I do: which writers routinely publish really good/interesting previews?

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

What level of soccer team are we talking about here? If by "local" you mean your metro area's MLS team, then you could reasonably plan to do something more thorough than, say, your local high school team, which only really needs a 5-W's type of preview box. Also, what's your competition and what's the attendance like?

Elaborate, and then we'll get back to you.

3. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

This is a little bit of a thread steal, but when I saw the subject heading, I was hoping the thread would regard season previews for high school sports.

I'm curious what other papers do to preview high school spring sports. At my shop, for each sport, we write a feature story, then do 3-4 sentences on each school highlighting the key players, team strengths and weaknesses. The problem is that sometimes these things tend to be overwritten, and we end up with a 90-inch preview. And that's far too much for girls soccer or softball.

I know some places just do highlights on the whole area -- teams to watch, players to watch, what the casual fan should know -- stuff like that. I'm starting to feel that's the better strategy.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

What you need to do is find some better stringers for those features. :D

5. Golazo21

Golazo21 Member

It's pro soccer -MLS. They average 16k a game. it's for a soccer-specific regional site.

6. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

I'm happy to say they didn't all come in at 90 inches.

7. awriter

awriter Active Member

I would say try to get out to practice if you can and approach it like a beat writer. Think big picture. What are the major issues the team is facing? Maybe do a player feature. And if all you're doing is writing is writing a quote-less preview, then my question is: Why bother? Seems like a waste, and an info box would be enough.

8. Golazo21

Golazo21 Member

Thank you guys!

Draft saved Draft deleted